The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

Rampage

Rampage

RHS Dance Department Ventures to New York City for ‘& Juliet’ Master Dance Class and Matinee

RHS+dancers+attended+a+master+class+taught+by+Brittany+Nicholas%2C+the+dance+captain+of+the+Broadway+musical+%26+Juliet%2C+and+then+saw+the+show+on+Wednesday%2C+March+6%2C+2023%2C+in+New+York+City.+++
Michele Adriano
RHS dancers attended a master class taught by Brittany Nicholas, the dance captain of the Broadway musical ‘& Juliet,’ and then saw the show on Wednesday, March 6, 2023, in New York City.

Randolph High School’s intermediate and advanced dance classes enjoyed an immersive and fun-filled trip to New York City on Wednesday, March 6, where students participated in professional dance classes and attended the Broadway show “& Juliet.”

The exhilarating day of hands-on activities and entertainment began with two master classes taught by Brittany Nicholas, the dance captain of “& Juliet,” and Jasmine Rafael, who portrays the character Imogen. During these sessions, students engaged in dance combos directly from the show and explored ways to utilize the elements of musical theatre.

“I enjoyed taking the class because it was so interesting to hear from a Broadway dancer who understands the industry,” junior dancer Brett Shuster said. “The combo was fun and challenging, and I learned how to make my motions big and powerful.”

Once the interactive lessons were complete, dancers had time to ask Nicholas and Rafael questions about their personal journeys in the industry, being a part of “& Juliet” and dancing on Broadway in general. This section of the trip was casual and enjoyable, yet informative for any RHS dancers who plan on taking their talents to the Broadway stage.

“It was so interesting to hear about what a Broadway performer’s daily routine looks like,” senior dancer Avery Rosenberg said. “It’s so cool that singing, acting and dancing is their everyday job.”

After the Q&A, the dancers headed to the Stephen Sondheim Theatre in Times Square to watch their master class teacher, Rafael, perform in the matinee of “& Juliet.” Immediately upon walking into the theater, dancers were amazed by flashy pink lights and a gorgeous, modern set.

The lighthearted musical ventures into an alternate ending of the famous Shakespeare play “Romeo and Juliet,” following Juliet’s journey of self-discovery and love shortly after Romeo’s death. A modern twist is added to the classic tale of love and tragedy, and the storyline is told through amusing musical numbers and hilarious dialogue.

“I loved watching the show,” senior Katie Gilligan said.  “When you hear ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ you think that it is going to be a serious show, but ‘& Juliet’ was the opposite. It was so funny, and everyone in the crowd was laughing.”

Not only was this field trip a chance for dancers to bond with each other, but it was also a learning experience for the program. Dance students got a glimpse of the professional world and will now incorporate their newly learned skills into the RHS dance program.

Editor’s Note: Look out for the fan-favorite, annual Dance Showcase on May 30 and 31.

About the Contributor
Kaitlyn DiCataldo
Kaitlyn DiCataldo, Media Producer, Staff Reporter
Senior Kaitlyn DiCataldo has been a contributing Staff Reporter for Rampage since her freshman year and is currently enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism I class to further her knowledge and experience in writing. Kaitlyn is a Media Producer for the Multimedia section, but she also enjoys writing Opinion and Arts articles. Kaitlyn is also producer of the Ram Report, where she explores her passion for media production and broadcasting.