The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • RHS graduates 331 members of Class of 2024
  • Good luck to all RHS Class of 2024 grads
  • Rampage wishes everyone a happy, healthy and safe summer
  • Rampage is officially on summer break and will be back online in September

Rampage

Rampage

Junior Prom 2024 Fashion Trends

Junior+Jaclyn+Mars+models+the+lovely+lilac+dress+she+plans+to+wear+to+junior+prom%2C+which+is+being+held+tomorrow+night.+
Erica Mars
Junior Jaclyn Mars models the lovely lilac dress she plans to wear to junior prom, which is being held tomorrow night.

Junior prom is tomorrow night, and attendees are putting the finishing touches on their semi-formal fits. In keeping with tradition, most junior girls will be wearing short dresses, in contrast to the senior girls, who’ll be wearing long dresses to their prom in June. Rampage surveyed some of the juniors about their fashion choices and noticed some familiar trends making a comeback this year but also some surprising new showings. Here’s a preview.

In Full Color

It’s no surprise that many students chose prom wear in classic shades of blue and purple, ranging from royal blue to lilac. Students agreed that these colors are generally flattering. “I picked the color of my dress because it makes my eyes look blue,” junior Emily Hochstuhl said.

Soft hues like baby blue and pink returned in similar numbers this year, but there are a lot more dresses in bold colors like ruby red and Kelly green than there were last year. There are also some new colors in the mix, like chocolate brown and sunset orange. For a breakdown of this year’s color trends based on polled students, see the chart below.

Most Unique Dresses

Aside from the expected solids with minimal detailing, there are some undeniable standouts this year.

Junior Briana Lange, for one, chose an eye-catching dress featuring light pink and pastel-blue detailing with gold stitching on white fabric. The swooped neckline in front and crisscrossed straps on the back work together to create a beautiful silhouette.

“I chose it because of the colors,” Lange said, “and the feature I liked the most was the different beading.”

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Dress

Like last year, sparkles are trending again, whether they be on a medallion feature or all over the dress, which often comes in a vibrant color. These dresses will be sure to shimmer on the prom dance floor.

“I always have associated prom with sparkles and sequences, so I really liked the design,” junior Ana Sanguillo Leppanen said of her prom dress choice.

Open Backs

Open backs are elegant, come in a variety of styles and look great in pre-prom photos. Once again, they were a popular choice for this year’s dresses. “I feel like they are really pretty and elevate the look,” junior Kayla Brand said.

Flower Power

Many promgoers chose dresses with floral designs this year. Flowers can be featured on dresses in a variety of ways, ranging from floral embroidery to 3D flowers to floral prints. The flowers can range from bold and vibrant to soft and pastel-colored, allowing buyers to choose from a variety of designs. Whichever way they’re designed, floral dresses are unique and stand out from the traditional solid-colored gowns. This trend also brings the beauty of nature to the dance floor.

“I mostly chose the dress because I really loved the detailing on it and how much attention was put into it,” said junior Carolyn Marconi, who’ll be wearing a dress with flower detailing.

Places to Score the Perfect Look

So where did Randolph promgoers find their perfect fit?  In keeping with last year, many buyers found dress success in stores such as Chic Boutique and Glamour Couture in New York. Others bought their dresses online, at popular stores like Lucy in the Sky and Windsor.

“I went in store because I like to try a dress on and see it on me because sometimes online it won’t fit or look good in person,” junior Jaclyn Mars said.

Well-Suited for Prom

The last part of the girls being prom ready is coordinating their outfits with those of their dates, including their dates’ suits, colorful ties and pocket squares, or whatever else they might be wearing.

“My only goal was to make sure my suit, tie and pocket square looked good and matched with my date,” junior AJ Terry said. Terry named Men’s Wearhouse as a popular store for him and his peers to find a classy suit, as the store has a large variety of styles, colors, and accessories. Next on Terry’s list was buying the right corsage for his date and boutonniere for himself.

With all the thought that went into this year’s fashion choicews, the 2024 Junior Prom promises to be a one-of-a-kind event filled with sartorial splendor.

About the Contributors
Sydney Wright
Sydney Wright, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Sydney Wright is so excited to be working as a staff reporter in her first year on Rampage. She is also enrolled in Mrs. Finnell's Journalism 1 class this year. Sydney is a member of the Girls Swim team for Randolph and swims on a club team as well.
Amelia Kolbik
Amelia Kolbik, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Amelia Kolbik is excited to be a first-year Staff Reporter for Rampage. Not only does she write for Rampage, but she is also enrolled in Mrs. Finnell's Journalism I class. In school, Amelia is part of Key Club, Future Educators and Team Harmony. She also participates in Girls Soccer, Ice Hockey and Lacrosse for Randolph.