The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

Rampage

Rampage

Movie Review: ‘Mean Girls’ (2024), Stream It or Skip It?

The new “Mean Girls” movie, starring Reneé Rapp as Regina George, Angourie Rice as Cady Heron and Christopher Briney as Aaron Samuels, became available on various streaming platforms just 45 days after it hit theaters, so there’s no better time to check out this updated classic on the cheap.

The new version merges the original film with elements from the Broadway production, including musical numbers, and sprinkles in a healthy dose of pop culture. Despite these changes, the remake stays true to the basic plot of teenager Cady Heron who, after moving from Kenya to America, gets her first taste of a public-school experience. Through a series of events, she ends up trying to fit in, which works in her favor, until it backfires.

“What I think is so special about Cady’s story is that it’s so relatable,” said Rice in an interview with “Digital Spy,” the British-based entertainment website. “I think we all feel this insecurity when entering a new space, we all want to fit in, we all want the ‘cool’ people to like us.”

The remake does tweak some storylines from the 2004 film to make them more appropriate for today’s audiences. For example, instead of Janis only being rumored to be a lesbian, this time around, the producers chose to make her character a lesbian, so Janis’ core traits could stay true to her.

“I enjoyed the movie; I’ve always enjoyed ‘Mean Girls’,” freshman Ruhi Shah said. “However, some of the tracks were different, and I wish they’d kept some jokes in. All in all, it was a great take on the classic movie mixed with the musical.”

Interestingly, Reneé Rapp also played Regina George on Broadway when she was 19. “I think that when I first did it in New York, I remember being in rehearsals, and the notes I got in rehearsals at the time were conducive to stage,” she told “Digital Spy,” in terms of making her character “bigger” and “bubblier.”

However, Rapp was able to dial back this theatricality for the film, which she said enabled her to play the version of Regina she’d originally intended to play when she first landed the role on Broadway.

It’s worth noting that Lindsay Lohan, who played Cady Heron in the 2004 film, has a small cameo in the remake. With this, the 2024 movie meaningfully connects the iconic original to the new musical adaptation, while simultaneously updating the plot to make it more relatable to today’s teens.

Thankfully, the movie’s core message remains the same: be yourself or risk winding up with the wrong group of friends.

About the Contributor
Jiah Shah
Jiah Shah, Staff Reporter
Jiah Shah is a freshman and a staff reporter for Rampage. She is enrolled in Journalism 1 with Mrs. Finnell. Jiah enjoys writing in her free time and often writes poems to clear her mind. Jiah is enrolled in a few clubs including Key Club, Literature Club, and Literature Magazine. Her other hobbies include playing with her dog, baking, and listening to her grandmother’s stories.