• RHS graduates 331 members of Class of 2024
  • Good luck to all RHS Class of 2024 grads
  • Rampage wishes everyone a happy, healthy and safe summer
  • Rampage is officially on summer break and will be back online in September

Class of 2024 College Commitment Trends

Janice Finnell
Members of the RHS Class of 2024 show off their College Commitment shirts on National Decision Day, June 1, at the high school

With the school year coming to an end, the Class of 2024 has made some big decisions about where to attend college next year. Because of this year’s delay in financial awards from FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), National Decision Day was moved back a month, from May 1 to June 1.

Now that the day has come and gone, Rampage spotted some notable commitment trends for the Class of 2024.

“Our overall number of college applications was comparable to last year’s graduating class,” noted Jennifer Huey, the high school’s college/ career specialist. Huey said that the top five schools that RHS seniors applied to were Penn State, Rutgers, Pitt, UDel and Maryland.

In a separate top five listing, Rampage compiled a list of the most popular schools that seniors had posted about on the student-run College Commitments page on Instagram.

TOP FIVE COLLEGE COMMITMENT POSTINGS ON THE RHS INSTAGRAM PAGE

1. Pennsylvania State University

This year, the most common college commitment postings on the Instagram site were for Penn State. The school has always been a popular choice for Randolph students when deciding where to spend their next four years. Located in Northeastern Pennsylvania, it is only a three-hour drive from Randolph.

“I chose Penn state not only for their exceptional pre-med program, but also because I plan to walk-on for track and field at a school full of spirit,” said senior Izzy Crosson, a Penn State commit. “I am looking forward to all the amazing opportunities this school will bring me as well as the vast array of clubs to join and people to meet. I’m planning to go into surgery when I am older; this school truly prepares you for all that is ahead.”

1. University of South Carolina

Coming in second for the number of postings on the Instagram page was South Carolina. In the past few years South Carolina has seen insane increases in commitments.

“I’m super excited for the school spirit and warm weather,” senior Mackenzie Kreitzer commented when asked what she is looking forward to about attending South Carolina.

1. Rutgers University

Rutgers has always been a popular choice for RHS seniors when deciding which college to attend. With its campus being right around the corner, students who don’t want to travel too far for school often find this college to be the right location for them.

1. Virginia Tech

This year, Virginia Tech saw a huge increase in commits from Randolph, making it the fourth most committed to school on the Instagram page.

“Everyone I’ve talked to who’s gone to Virginia Tech absolutely loves it,” senior Lindsey Krudriavetz explained. “The size of the campus, the journalism program and the widespread school spirit makes Blacksburg feel like home.”

1. James Madison

Coming in fifth on the Instagram page is James Madison University. Commonly referred to as JMU, it has always been a popular choice, but this year, the school saw significant increases in commits from Randolph. It offers a vibrant academic and social community and is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Rampage wishes the members of the Class of 2024 all the best as they begin their new college journeys in the coming months.   

About the Contributor
Jamie Donnelly
Jamie Donnelly, Staff Reporter
Jamie Donnelly is a sophomore who participates in the Journalism program at RHS. This is her first year writing for Rampage, and she is looking forward to it. In addition to writing for Rampage, Jamie also plays soccer and loves to listen to music.