The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • RHS graduates 331 members of Class of 2024
  • Good luck to all RHS Class of 2024 grads
  • Rampage wishes everyone a happy, healthy and safe summer
  • Rampage is officially on summer break and will be back online in September

Rampage

Rampage

Girls Lacrosse Defeats Ramapo, 18-4; Superb Seniors Lead the Way

Senior+Maria+LaPietra+clears+the+ball+downfield+in+the+Rams+18-4+victory+over+Ramapo+on+Thursday%2C+May+23.+
Robert Harris
Senior Maria LaPietra clears the ball downfield in the Rams’ 18-4 victory over Ramapo on Thursday, May 23.

The Girls Lacrosse team triumphed over Ramapo, 18-4, in the first round of the State Sectional tournament this past Thursday, May 23. The victory marks the beginning of a promising path toward a state championship for the Rams.

“We have had an up-and-down season, with big time injuries followed by tough losses,” senior co-captain Riley Novak said. “But the past few games we have been gaining momentum, and we are using that to push us through states.”

Randolph stifled Ramapo’s efforts right out of the gate, with three goals in the first five minutes of the game from senior co-captain Lexi Rodell. Noteworthy feats continued to empower the team as sophomore Natalia Donato scored the next goal in her first game back from injury.

The Rams’ relentless battle against Ramapo showed no signs of faltering as the team ended with a remarkable 18 goals in total. As the team keeps its momentum rolling through the rest of the state sectional tournament as the fourth seed, the seniors will be especially crucial in providing a veteran presence to make a deeper run into the playoffs.

Twelve seniors have contributed to the Rams’ success this year and will continue to be vital to the team’s championship hopes. To commend these athletes for their leadership roles on the team, Rampage put their illustrious careers under the spotlight.

Morgan Behar contributed to the Rams’ massive momentum booster with a goal and an assist at last Thursday’s game. Over her career, her point totals have reached 15 goals and 8 assists. Behar will attend Virginia Tech to pursue a career in communications.

Sam Einfeldt has been a necessary asset to Randolph’s stifling defense this season. Einfeldt has amassed 17 ground balls and 15 forced turnovers in 18 games this season, making an impact, night in and night out. Einfeldt has career totals of 74 ground balls and 41 forced turnovers.

Ana Hallajian is an attacker who is committed to continuing her lacrosse journey at Fairleigh Dickinson University. She plans to study for a degree in psychology.

Maria LaPietra has been an integral component of the Rams’ starting definitive line this season. Her consistency in her production at the varsity level over the past three seasons has prepared her for an additional four more seasons at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ). LaPietra has accumulated 27 ground balls and 16 forced turnovers in her high school career.

Judy Mahoney has maintained her efficiency defending the cage since her previous seasons with the state semifinal-competing Rams. Mahoney will continue to lead the Rams’ defensive unit back to the state semifinals, especially now with the additional responsibilities as one of the team’s co-captains. Mahoney’s 104 saves this season have increased her career total to 266 saves. She will continue her goaltending prowess at D1 school St. Bonaventure University after this season.

Riley Novak is a four-year varsity athlete who is committed to play D1 Lacrosse for the Bryant Bulldogs. In her second year as the captain of the lacrosse team, Novak has taken the experience from her two-year captainship with the field hockey program to help lead her talented teammates in the lacrosse program. Novak has scored 109 goals and 46 assists in her career and brings a similarly impressive impact on the defensive side of the field with 169 draw controls and 148 ground balls.

In her fourth year on varsity and first year as a captain, Lexi Rodell has scored a staggering 315 goals and 58 assists. As the all-time goal leader at RHS, Rodell has committed to play D1 for Stanford University. She has been steamrolling through opposing defenses, opening the first round of the state tournament with three goals in the first five minutes.

Taylor Santoro leads the attack as the captain on the offensive side of the field. Santoro reached the 100-goal mark this season with 109 career goals and 46 career assists. She is committed to play D1 lacrosse at Ryder University.

Entering her first year as a captain and fourth year on varsity, Katie Tighe is bringing experience and a veteran presence to the defensive side of the field. Committed to play D1 at the University of Rhode Island, Tighe has shown no signs of taking her foot off the pedal, expanding her role on the draw circle with 31 draw controls, doubling her total from the previous season. She has contributed to the defensive side of the field with career totals of 126 ground balls, 93 forced turnovers and 44 draw controls.

Claudia Tuttle has contributed to the Rams’ success this season as an attacker. In college, she will be attending the University of Mississippi to pursue a degree in business.

Amelia Walsh will be continuing her lacrosse career at Moravian University. She will be majoring in communications.

Summer Walsh has been a key threat to opposing defenses for the Rams this year. She has scored 9 goals and 5 assists as a member of the starting attack unit this season, with 25 goals and 12 assists in her career. She will attend Rowan University to study health sciences.

Randolph will continue their state sectional run today, Wednesday, May 29, at home against the five-seeded North Hunterdon at 4:00 P.M.

About the Contributor
Jack Novak
Jack Novak, Staff Reporter
Jack Novak is a freshman staff reporter for Rampage. As he is enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism 1 class this year, Jack is eager to develop his journalistic skills his year. Jack plays basketball and lacrosse for the high school. and spends much of his free time playing basketball year-round with his Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team. At school, in addition to writing for Rampage, Jack is involved with the Bridges Club, Chess Club and Hebrew Culture Club. His hobbies include fishing, listening to music and watching his favorite show, "Impractical Jokers."