• Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

RHS Students Beat Visiting Randolph Township Police, 2-1, in Volleyball Scrimmage

RHS students may have beaten the visiting Randolph Township Police, 2-1, in a volleyball scrimmage at the high school on Wednesday, Dec. 20, 2023, but both teams won in terms of community building.

RHS students narrowly defeated the visiting Randolph Township Police, 2-1, in a friendly volleyball scrimmage that was held in the Main Gym during unit lunch on Wednesday, Dec. 20.

Both teams won, however, in terms of community building at the popular event, which students watched from the stands, eating their lunch between cheers.

Prior to the match, the police were optimistic about winning. “We are overall pretty athletic,” Police Officer Ian Green said. “We have a lot of guys coming from different sports backgrounds.”

We came, we saw and we conquered.”

— Aedan Perez, RHS volleyball player

As the first set got underway, RHS students quickly took advantage of their team’s previous volleyball experience to gain a 1-0 lead, winning the set, 15-11.

Next up, the police gained an early advantage, starting the second set with a 10-2 lead, apparently due to miscommunication at the students’ end. The police held on to their lead to win the set, 15-11.

Now tied, both teams knew the third set would be a win-or-go-home situation, with no clear favorite to win at the time.

At the start of the final set, Ben Barninger set the tone for the students, racking up kills left and right. The police held their own, however, making it a back-and-forth set. There was no room for error, as the deciding factor in this set was the serve. In the end, the students stayed consistent with their serves, squeezing by the police for a 25-17 win.

The two teams fought hard, but it wasn’t enough for the cops, as the students pulled two out of the three sets in their favor to win the match.

“We came, we saw and we conquered,” said RHS player Aedan Perez, after the win. “We had great team chemistry. The team knew the talent we had, and we just needed to prove it.”

“We practice without a net, which was our downfall,” Green said after the police officers lost, but he ended on an optimistic note. “We are really glad we were able to do this for our second year in a row,” he added. “We are looking forward to doing this again next year.”

The RHS volleyball players sounded ready for the challenge. “Our goal is to win next year, and the big vision is to go back-to-back-to-back,” Perez said.

About the Contributor
Ian Pietrucha
Ian Pietrucha, Staff Reporter
Ian Pietrucha is a sophomore at RHS who is in his second year of the Journalism program at RHS, and he is ecstatic to be a sports reporter for Rampage. Ian also plays basketball for the high school, as well as club basketball.