Boys Volleyball on 11-Game Winning Streak, with 13-0 Record in NJAC; Tourney Quarterfinals Start Tomorrow

Joann Tinio

Randolph Boys Volleyball is enjoying an 11-game winning streak, an undefeated record, 13-0 in the NJAC, and top standings in the division, conference and overall. The team faces Pope John tomorrow, May 16, in the NJAC quarterfinals. Pictured: Boys Volleyball ends a timeout against Morristown on Wednesday, April 26, 2023.

Kiersten Tinio, Staff Reporter

Boys Volleyball is on an 11-game winning streak after beating Pope John today, 2-0, and Passaic Charter in two sets on Saturday, May 13. The team is currently 16-4 for the season; undefeated (13-0) in NJAC; and ranked first in their divison, conference and overall.

“We’ve found a steady rhythm in how we are approaching each game despite who the opponent is, sophomore co-captain Kevin Tinio said, “but overall, the way we are keeping our energy constant throughout the game, no matter what’s happening, is what’s giving us the advantage over other teams.”

Senior co-captain Jonas Covalesky currently leads the team with 119 kills and 53 blocks. Tinio leads the team in assists at 395.

The Rams are currently on a 10-game winning streak, winning all but one game in two sets. Randolph is currently ranked 29th in the state out of 185 teams.

Despite these stellar stats, senior co-captain Josh Barrett still looks to improve. “We have to be more focused on the court and take lower ranked teams more seriously,” he said.

“Our overall team chemistry is what put us where we are now,” Covalesky explained. “Many teams in the NJAC lost great players that have greatly affected them this year. We have capitalized on this and have proven to the NJAC and the state of New Jersey that we are capable of competing with strong teams,”

The Rams play Pope John next, tomorrow May 16, in the NJAC Tournament, Quarterfinal Round.