Track and Field Hopes to End Season Strong at Eastern States Championships after Success at Sectionals

Boys Track and Field senior captain Dan Pinyan (rear) advances on another runner at an earlier meet, the Wayne Gardiner Relays. Pinyan and his teammates are hoping for a strong ending to their successful season at tonight’s Eastern States Championships at The Armory in New York City.

Colin O’Meara, Assistant Sports Editor

Randolph Track and Field aims to finish the season strong at the Eastern States Championships meet, which takes place later today, Wednesday, March 1, at The Armory in New York City.

Although the team faced a minor setback with their performance at the NJSIAA Group 3 State Championships on Feb. 18, at the prior meet, the North 1 Group 3 State Sectionals on Feb 3., the athletes showed they’re more than capable of achieving great success.

At the State Sectionals, a high point of the season, Randolph earned multiple first place finishes and even broke a school record. Seniors Joshua Bodnar, Ariyana Jackson and Dan Pinyan were all key figures in the meet’s success, and they will attempt to run even faster times at the Eastern States Championships.

“I was happy with the team’s performance at Sectionals,” said Luke Suttile, the Boys Track and Field coach. “The team was able to get two wins. We’re starting to get it together.”

Bodnar, for one, surpassed expectations including his own when he broke a school record by running the 55m dash in only 6.55 seconds. “I felt great about my performance,” Bodnar said. “I have always wanted to beat this record, but I surprised myself looking at my time.”

“I was not expecting the school record to be broken this season, but I give Josh credit,” Suttile added. “Josh ran great and started the race great.”

Senior captain Dan Pinyan also ran a successful race at Sectionals, taking first place in the 55m hurdles. “I was very happy with my performance last Friday,” said Pinyan, who not only achieved his season goal of running under eight seconds but also of reaching Groups in that race, and with a Sectionals first place medal to take home.

“I think the team as a whole had a really good response to our underwhelming showing at County Championships,” Pinyan added. “I think this performance had been building up for a while.”

Pinyan credited both his coaches and teammates for his ability to succeed. “I can never say enough about the coaches we have,” he said. “Both Suttile and Zarro have done tremendous work with the whole team, and they really want to see us succeed. They push us to our limits just to break through them. The team has also helped me achieve a performance like this. Teaching the underclassmen of the team makes you look twice at what you’re doing yourself to make sure you’re setting the right example.”

“Both Josh and Dan’s great work ethics helped them do well,” Suttile added. “They were able to stay strong through the ups and downs of this season.” Suttile also noted that working on their starts during practice helped secure their wins.

The boys team wasn’t the only team to do well in State Sectionals. Another fantastic runner who produced amazing results was Ariana Jackson, who qualified for the Eastern State Championships in both shot put and 55m hurdles, with a first place in shot put and a second place in hurdles.

“I think my performance at the meet went well,” Jackson said. “Winning State Sectionals for any of the events I do has always been a long-time goal of mine since starting track as a freshman.”

Jackson said she is excited to compete at the Championships: “Winning groups is the bigger picture and something I’ve been longing for as well, and to win would also be another goal accomplished.”