Featured Athlete: Connor Thomas, Boys Ice Hockey Captain

Connor Thomas prepares to save a shot at Mennen Sports Arena on Dec. 14, 2021

Lindsey Kudriavetz     

Charlie Wesolowski, Sports Editor

Senior Boys Ice Hockey captain and goalie Connor Thomas is looking to have his team return to the playoffs and see success after coming up short last year. So far this season, Thomas has made 128 saves and has of 89.5 save percentage, building off his 2021-2022 campaign where he made 379 total saves with a save percentage of 85.9. After being named captain for this season, his role is even more crucial to the team this year.

“It’s an honor as it is a very select position with a lot of importance for Randolph Hockey,” said Thomas, when asked about what it meant to be named captain of the hockey team. The role is only given to one person on the team every year, further cementing how special it is to receive the nod.

Thomas has been playing hockey in Randolph for around a decade now, with his growth as a player after each season becoming more apparent. Thomas has always had the ability to be a leader, and being named captain of the team has given him the recognition he deserves.

Michael Valvano, the goalie coach for the varsity boys ice hockey team, has seen firsthand how much Thomas has grown as an athlete since arriving at the high school. “I have seen his progress since elementary school days,” Valvano said. “Always working his game putting in the extra time and effort required—a pleasure to coach.” This dedication to the game is what has helped bring Thomas to where he is today and what will allow him to continue being an asset on the ice.

“Connor is the backbone of our team,” senior teammate Zach Gallo said. “Without him there would be a hole in guidance and leadership.” Thomas has a way of bringing the team together, acting as an anchor for the Rams when they are on the ice.

With over half the season remaining, Thomas and the rest of the team are ready to finish strong and get ready to compete for the Mennen Cup as well as the state championship.

The next game of the season is scheduled for Jan. 14 where the Rams will be playing at home against Morris Knolls.