Lit Club Members Create Display of Newly Collected Books in Media Center 

Adriana Coppola

The Lit Club’s new shelf display in the Media Center features over 50 new books for students to borrow and read.

Kiersten Tinio, Staff Reporter

Members of the Lit Club recently unveiled their artful display of newly collected books in the Media Center. The members main idea is to gravitate students towards the shelf to find new books of their interest to read.

“One of the reasons for the club is to have students love reading and enjoy reading again,” club advisor Adriana Coppola said.  “Therefore, we thought it would be a fun idea to create a shelf based on contemporary and young adult literature on interesting topics.”

Before the shelf could be created, the Lit Club held a book drive and received a total of 70 books. Out of all of the books they received, the members selected 57 books for their finished shelf. Students spent their time during unit lunch to work on the new shelf design and pick the books they thought would grab the attention of students.

“The new shelf design helps bring a warm welcome to RHS students about the culture of reading,” junior Aishlyn Cassells said. “It opens new and easy opportunities to students who are interested in reading by providing books that are open to everyone.”

Students may either check out a book or read it in the Media Center. Students also have the option to keep the book and then pass it on to a friend when done with it. According to club members, this sharing concept enables more students to enjoy reading the new books. The shelf offerings also encourage others to read since they know that students have already enjoyed reading this book.

“It allows students to pick up a book they would like to read for free and hopefully enjoy it enough to pass it on to a friend,” senior Camila Mould-Parga said. “This can have a positive impact at RHS as they are able to share favorite books with one another.”