Senior English Students Create Lunches for Homeless

Seniors Hans Petit Frere (left) and Alexander Brandon (right) create PB&J sandwiches to donate to homeless people in Newark on Monday, Dec 19, in the high school Commons.

Leo Hernandez, News Editor

Students in Angie Stierch’s senior English classes spent two days creating bagged lunches for the residents of homeless shelters in Newark, as part of a service-learning project sponsored by Project KIND, on Dec. 19 and 20.

After having her students read “The Glass Castle” in class, Stierch was inspired to give back to her community while teaching students valuable lessons. “Making a positive change can help inspire others to continue their efforts for good causes,” she said.

On service project days, her students gathered in the Commons and got to work. Each bagged lunch included either a student-made PB&J or ham and cheese sandwich, a water bottle, and granola bars. In addition, students crafted heartwarming notes of encouragement and personalized the paper lunch bags with colorful designs.

“I’m very grateful for what my parents can provide for me,” said senior Hans Petit Frere, who emigrated from Haiti to Randolph his junior year. “Even though I lived in Haiti, where there is a lot of poverty, I was able to get food every day and sleep in a comfy bed. I knew there were plenty of kids who were not able to have what I had. Doing this makes me happy to give back.”

Stierch said she hoped that this service-learning project would become an annual tradition that would have a positive impact on students and their community.  “When you’re actually doing something important, the lessons you learn stick with you,” Stierch said.

Editor’s Note: Project Kind, located in Rockaway, “seeks to engage the community to share in the journey of those in need who are working to overcome life’s challenges.” For more information on how to help, visit their website at https://www.projectkind123.org.