Girls Volleyball Team Reflects on Successful Season at Banquet

Girls varsity volleyball players enjoy their end-of-season banquet at Cinders Wood Fire Grill in Mine Hill on Monday, Nov. 14.
Clockwise, from left: Jazmine Holder, Caitlin Sciubba, Isabella Carreira, Olivia Berlin, Isabella De Nigris, Moira Durkin, Dora Katsanos, Chloe Spingarn, Samantha Einfeldt, Kiersten Tinio, Megan Geuther, Nina Capriglione, Anna Jankowska

Jay Paul Tinio

Girls varsity volleyball players enjoy their end-of-season banquet at Cinders Wood Fire Grill in Mine Hill on Monday, Nov. 14. Clockwise, from left: Jazmine Holder, Caitlin Sciubba, Isabella Carreira, Olivia Berlin, Isabella De Nigris, Moira Durkin, Dora Katsanos, Chloe Spingarn, Samantha Einfeldt, Kiersten Tinio, Megan Geuther, Nina Capriglione, Anna Jankowska

Kiersten Tinio, Staff Reporter

Randolph girls volleyball players celebrated their fall comeback at an end-of-season banquet, held at Cinders Wood Fire Grill in Mine Hill on Monday, Nov. 14. The team’s 2022-2023 season saw a much-improved record of 9-11 over last year’s 5-18.

“As a team I think this season was very successful,” senior co-captain Isabella De Nigris said. “Even though we had a slow start, we used that as momentum to push through and ultimately have a good season.”

At the start of the banquet, players, coaches and parents enjoyed a variety of appetizers, such as bread, salad and buffalo chicken bites. Afterward, the team’s five graduating seniors gave speeches. Players next received First and Second Team All-Conference awards from The Northwest Jersey Atlantic Conference. Moira Durkin, a senior co-captain and outside hitter, earned the NJAC First Team All-Conference award as well as Varsity MVP.

“I was very excited to hear that my hard work and dedication to this program had been recognized,” Durkin said. “I remember last year I set the goal for myself to earn First Team All-Conference because I felt I had something to prove before I graduated the program.”

Senior libero Kiersten Tinio earned the NJAC Second Team All-Conference award and the Varsity Coach’s award. “I was extremely proud of myself because this season, I really tried giving it my all since last year, I couldn’t play due to an injury,” Tinio said. “It was nice that my hard work and dedication was seen by my coaches.

Varsity, junior varsity and freshmen players were then granted team awards for their commitment and athletic excellence. Chloe Spingarn received the Varsity’s Most Improved award for her hard work and improvement during the season. Most Spirited went to Nina Capriglione, with De Nigris getting the honorable mention.

After a successful season, the banquet was a great way for the players to be recognized for their hard work and dedication and bid a final farewell to their seniors.