Season Preview: Boys Hockey Looks to Bounce Back

Boys+hockey+hopes+to+%E2%80%9Chonor+the+legacy%E2%80%9D+by+adding+a+tenth+championship+trophy+to+their+nine+prior+wins+this+coming+season.+

Michael Valvano

Boys hockey hopes to “honor the legacy” by adding a tenth championship trophy to their nine prior wins this coming season.

After facing an early exit in the quarterfinals of last year’s state playoffs, this season’s Boys Hockey team is determined to improve on its 10-7-3 record from last year.  The Rams will face Morris Knolls as the season tips off at Mennen Ice Arena on Friday, Dec. 9.

The current team will have big skates to fill, after losing nine graduating seniors from the Class of 2022, including captain Jordan Cross, Nick Gaynor, Ethan Mueller, Ryan Manderioli, Alex Narcise, Kristian Eglitis, Ryan Solotist, Liam DesRosiers and Daniel Rodriguez.

Luckily, current senior Connor Thomas, who was recently named this year’s team captain, said he feels ready to lead the team to a successful season. “I feel as being named captain this year my role has not changed,” Thomas said, when asked what taking on such an important team role meant to him. “It will still be to continue to do my job to the best of my ability and to help lead others in the right direction to help improve the team.”

Although the team is still comprised of many younger players, that shouldn’t be an issue as many of this year’s returning underclassmen performed well at the varsity level last year. Sophomore Jase Zangara, who was one of them, was even named Rookie of the Year for the Mennen Division last year. Only a freshman, he led the team with a total tally of 35 points for the season.

Last year’s season had its ups and downs as there wasn’t much consistency early in the season. As the season progressed, however, the skaters became more consistent with their performance and their chemistry improved with each game. This year’s players agreed that consistency is a major factor hope to improve upon.

To make up for the loss of key upperclassmen players, several incoming freshmen looked ready to step up and make an impact. The freshmen will be expected to play many minutes and contribute to the team.

“I am looking forward to this season very much,” head coach Rich Mclaughlin said. “While we only have four seniors, we have much more depth than the prior year. We hope to be competitive in both our Mennen league and state playoffs.”

With the upcoming season just around the corner, the team was preparing to face Knolls on Dec. 9, after playing pre-season scrimmages against teams including Pope John, Livingston, and Pingry.