National Social Studies Honor Society Inducts New Members

Jennifer Corley

Student officers of the National Social Studies Honor Society speak at the induction ceremony on Nov. 1, 2022. Pictured, left to right: Vice president Gracie Schrader, president Alex Vega, secretary Emily Gibb and community outreach officers Aaima Naeem, Alex Treppiedi and Samantha Willis.

The RHS Chapter of the National Social Studies Honor Society, aka Rho Kappa, held its annual induction ceremony for approximately 45 new members on Nov. 1 at 6:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium.

“I thought the ceremony was a great event to showcase the students and their interests as well as give families the opportunity to celebrate their children,” Principal Jessica Baxter said.

“Social studies is a subject I have always felt passionate about,” junior inductee Lindsey Kudriavetz said. “Being able to combine my love for that with community service is an aspect of this chapter I am looking forward to.”

Senior inductee Kristjan Tootsov agreed, adding, “The value of service, which is an integral part of the Society, is important to me.”

Approximately 100 guests were in attendance for the ceremony, which began with Chapter President Alex Vega leading the guests in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Teacher Advisers Ashley Kanya and Jennifer Corley next welcomed everyone to the event. After expressing their happiness at being able to advise the chapter, they introduced their Board members.

Baxter then gave opening remarks to families and discussed the accomplishments of the students about to be inducted into Rho Kappa. Baxter also acknowledged their hard work and determination throughout their high school careers.

Vega led the new inductees in reciting the oath of Rho Kappa. Next was the candle lighting portion of the ceremony, where each officer read aloud the meaning of one of the four candles displayed on a table, each of which represented a pillar of Rho Kappa, then lit the candle for the inductees and their guests.

Next, each Board member spoke about a pillar of the Society and praised the new inductees for their great accomplishment. Among them were President Alex Vega, Vice President Gracie Schrader, Secretary Emily Gibb, and Community Outreach Officers Alex Treppiedi, Aaima Naeem and Samantha Willis.

Following the candle lighting, the names of the new inductees were read off as well as their answer to either of the two questions they were asked prior to the induction ceremony. The first question was, “If you could go back in time and live in any period in history, what would it be?” and the second, “What historical role model do you look up to?” After their responses were read, inductees received their certificates, solidifying their place in this academic Society.

“My favorite part was when the students’ names were called, and their favorite historical figure or time period was announced,” Baxter said after the event.

Once the last inductee was called, Corley and Kanya delivered closing remarks, and attendees exited the auditorium to the Commons where they took pictures and indulged in desserts and refreshments.

“The induction ceremony went smoothly; our officers, who ran the ceremony, did a fantastic job of swearing in and welcoming in our new members,” Co-Advisor Corley said.