The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • RHS graduates 331 members of Class of 2024
  • Good luck to all RHS Class of 2024 grads
  • Rampage wishes everyone a happy, healthy and safe summer
  • Rampage is officially on summer break and will be back online in September

Rampage

Rampage

RHS Hosts Second Annual Senior Citizen Prom at Randolph Community Center

RHS seniors pose with Randolph residents Manuel Vince-Cruz and Delia Cruz, who were named King and Queen of the Senior Citizen Prom, at the Randolph Community Center on May 7, 2024.

Dozens of local senior citizens danced the day away with 14 RHS seniors who volunteered to host the second annual Senior Citizen Prom, held at the Randolph Community Center, on Tuesday, May 7.

The event featured DJ Nick, whose lively playlist prompted attendees, both young and old, to dance and sing their hearts out. The RHS seniors eagerly volunteered to join in the fun contributing to the good vibes on this special day.

The day began with the high school seniors enjoying some quality bonding time with the senior citizens at their tables. The senior citizens welcomed the high schoolers with warm smiles and laughter. Each table of four to six senior citizens mingled with one or two high schoolers.

“The senior citizens seemed really excited to tell us about their families, and it was interesting and fun getting to know them on a more personal level,” senior Kaitlyn DiCataldo said.

One of them taught us how to line dance to a Spanish song. Some of the high school students were not particularly coordinated, but they still had fun.”

— Senior Kaitlyn DiCataldo

“The senior citizen prom was a great experience for me,” RHS senior Colin O’Meara added. “It was great to talk to the people there and get to know them. They were such great people, and we had funny conversations.”

Later on in the event, the senior citizens and high school seniors hit the dance floor. “One of them taught us how to line dance to a Spanish song,” DiCataldo recalled. “Some of the high school students were not particularly coordinated, but they still had had fun.”

DJ Nick also played music from dance favorites like the electric shuffle and the cha-cha slide. He also mixed in various songs for ballroom dancing, slow dancing and classics that kept attendees kicking up their heels on the dance floor.

The senior citizens agreed they had a wonderful time reliving their favorite dances, socializing and even snacking. “I enjoyed everyone and had so much fun,” senior citizen Renata said.

Finally, the day ended when Randolph residents Manuel Vince-Cruz and Delia Vince-Cruz were named Prom King and Queen. Their joy was contagious, and the room erupted in applause as the royal couple was crowned on the stage.

“This is the second annual senior citizen prom, and moving forward, I hope that our graduates continue the tradition,” said event coordinator Lindsay Reilly, the RHS dean of students. “I know our senior citizen community members really look forward to it, and everyone has a great time.”

About the Contributors
Cameron Johnson
Cameron Johnson, Media Producer, Staff Reporter
Cameron "Cam" Johnson is a senior and a Staff Reporter and Media Producer for Rampage. Cam has produced media for Rampage, such as "Cam in the Halls," and he is enrolled in Mrs. Finnell's Journalism I class this year. Outside of writing and producing for Rampage, Cam is a member of the Ram Report and Video Club. He also participates in the Boys Track team for Randolph. Cam is an avid Jets and Mets fan; he attends Jets home games every year. 
Mackenzie Kreitzer
Mackenzie Kreitzer, Staff Reporter
Senior Mackenzie Kreitzer is enjoying her first year as a staff reporter for Rampage. At RHS, Mackenzie is a part of the National English Honors Society, Future Educators Association, and Dance Outreach. She is also the leader of a girls' mental health group. Mackenzie is also a member of the girls cross country and track teams for Randolph.