• Boys Lacrosse wins @ Pope John, 11-4, on Friday, April 19, bringing season record to 4-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Immaculate Heart, 12-6, on Monday, April 22, bringing season record to 4-6
  • Baseball loses to Mendham, 4-3, on Tuesday, April 23, bringing season record to 11-2
  • Softball loses to Morris Knolls, 5-2, on Tuesday, April 23, bringing season record to 8-4
  • Boys Volleyball beats Chatham, 2-0, on Monday, April 22, bringing season record to 7-7
  • Boys Tennis beats Morristown, 5-0, on Monday, April 22, bringing season record to 5-3

Boys Winter Track Wrap-Up: Distance Team Concludes Successful Season

Boys+Winter+Track+members+%28from+left%29+Kennan+Byers%2C+Thomas+Amato+and+Preston+Gumann+celebrate+stellar+races+following+the+NJSIAA+Group+2+%26+3+State+Championships.+
Andy Michelin
Boys Winter Track members (from left) Kennan Byers, Thomas Amato and Preston Gumann celebrate stellar races following the NJSIAA Group 2 & 3 State Championships.

Randolph Boys Winter Track celebrated a strong season performance with countless personal bests and a total of three runners individually qualifying for the Meet of Champions. There were stellar individual performances throughout the year, and it marked the first year for Boys Distance where three runners qualified for their specific individual events in the Meet of Champions.

“I was very pleased with this year’s performances,” said Nicholas Albanito, Randolph distance head coach. “Top to bottom, all members made big steps to the next level of their career. It did not matter if it was the jump from top area talent to top state talent or from JV to pushing Varsity. All members are realizing the team’s potential and want to be a part of it.”

I was very pleased with this year’s performances. All members are realizing the team’s potential and want to be a part of it.”

— Nicholas Albanito, Randolph distance head coach

The boys team had success in all areas. Seniors Giacomo Lenge and Andy Michelan clocked personal record times of 4:48 and 4:56, respectively. Senior Colin O’Meara also ran a fast time of 2:04 in the 800m. The younger members of the team also had success, with sophomores Ryan Davidson and Jacob Conti contributing strong showings in the mile with times of 4:48 and 4:59, respectively. Junior Seth Geene also improved his mile time this season by 20 seconds.

“As a coach, I am focusing not just on the current season but also the seasons to come,” Albanito added. “Getting the younger guys varsity experience is so important in the development of the team.”

Three members of the team stood out this season. Juniors Thomas Amato and Preston Gumann and sophomore Kennan Byers all qualified individually for the Meet of Champions, as well as qualifying for the 4×800 relay along with O’Meara. The hard work Amato, Gumann and Byers put in, both in and out of practice, paid off, and their success was displayed throughout the entire season.

“I think Thomas, Kennan and Preston have all excelled because of a lot of different reasons,” Albanito stated. “The percentage of each one of these reasons varies, and that is what makes the sport so great. The one common denominator that I feel has helped the most is the ability to train with each other. This allows them to push each other to get through workouts they feel they may have not been able to do alone.”

Sophomore star Byers agreed with his coach, stating, “I attribute my success to my coaches, my teammates, Thomas, and Preston. They really push me to be better.”

Byers, who is only a sophomore this year, has already left countless runners in his dust. “I think I have had a breakthrough season,” he said. “I’ve PRed by 13 seconds in the mile. I’m meeting my goals this season.” Byers ran some blazing times this season, and at the Morris County Championships, he ran a PR of 4:21.75 in the 1600m.

“My goal was to get top three at Counties; I got second,” Byers noted. “I wanted to get top two at sectionals, and I won. I did well in groups. I qualified for the Meet of Champions, which was the main goal. I wanted to break 4:20, and I’m almost there.”

Byers showed extreme mental toughness throughout the season; no matter how tired he felt, he always had a strong kick to finish his races. “I am able to deal with a lot of pain when I run,” he said.

Byers placed 4th at the NJSIAA Group 2 & 3 State Championships with a time of 4:23.49. Although he was not able to run as fast the following week at the Meet of Champions, looking ahead, he is destined to destroy his old personal bests. He is improving at an incredible rate in only his sophomore year. He may be on pace to even break the Randolph mile record in the spring.

Another bright spot of this team this season was Amato. He is a natural-born runner who excels at long distances, having his best race in the 3200m. “It’s important for me to show up every day and be consistent,” Amato stated.

Amato only ran the mile once this year, but he was able to log a stellar time of 4:29. As a long-distance runner, Thomas even gained speed, running a 2:03 in the 800m. He always pushed himself to do better, to become even faster. Even in a race where he ran 4:29, when he returned to school, he decided to run another three miles on the track at 9:30 p.m.

When Thomas needed to perform to make the cut for the Meet of Champions, he was ice-cold under pressure. He cut his 3200m time by six seconds to qualify for the meet with a time of 9:36.93.

“I’ve been working really hard this season,” Amato said. “It’s really good to have people running around you that are as fast or faster than you. It really helps me run faster. I want to run sub 9:30.”

At the Meet of Champions, Thomas had a slight PR of 9:36.28 and placed 16th. Thomas was consistent all season and, although he was unable to run sub 9:30, he should be able to do so with his current rate of improvement and work ethic.

Gumann has also excelled this season. In the 1000m, he had a blazing time of 2:38. Then at the NJSIAA Group 2 & 3 State Championships, he ran a 4:27 mile to qualify for the Meet of Champions.

“Making the Meet of Champions was a goal I have always had,” Gumann noted. When asked about his performance after a stellar PR of 4:27 in the mile, Preston said that he could have done better. His constant desire to do better and his extreme work ethic helped make him the runner he is today. “I work hard every day, and I want to be the best,” Gumann said.

At the Meet of Champions, Preston ended his season with a fast time of 4:23 in the 1600m. He should continue to get faster and faster into the spring season. With Gumann’s work ethic and stellar running form, anything is possible for him.

Overall, the season was a great success for the Randolph Track Distance team. The team will continue to improve this offseason as the season heads into the spring. “I feel we have a great shot at being the top-scoring distance group in the county come spring track,” Albanito concluded.

About the Contributor
Colin O'Meara
Colin O'Meara, Editor-in-Chief
Colin O’Meara is a senior and an Editor-in-Chief of Rampage. Colin has also written articles for TAPinto Randolph and was enrolled in Mrs. Finnell's Journalism I class last year. Outside of writing for Rampage and TAP, Colin is a member of the Team Harmony Club, Science National Honor Society, Math National Honor Society, and English Honor Society. He also participates in the boy's soccer team and the boy's track team for Randolph.