• Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

Randolph Boys Ice Hockey Rallies over Ridgewood, 5-3, in NJSIAA Semifinals

Liz Bukh
The Rams celebrate after defeating the Ridgewood Maroons, 5-3, in the North State Sectional Semifinals on Tuesday, Feb. 27, at SportsCare Arena in Randolph. The Rams, now 22-0-1, advance to the finals against Northern Highlands today, Thursday, Feb. 29, at 4:30 p.m. at Mennen Arena in Morristown. 

The Randolph Rams defeated the Ridgewood Maroons, 5-3, in a tightly contested semifinal matchup on Tuesday evening, Feb. 27, at SportsCare Arena in Randolph.  

“We didn’t come out ready and they put us on our heels,” senior goalie John Krynicki said. 

For the first time in this year’s state playoffs, Randolph surrendered a goal against the opponents. At about halfway through the first, Ridgewood struck. From there they added another power play marker to put the Rams in a place they haven’t often been in, down two goals. 

“We needed more heart, and that message was sent very clearly in between periods,” junior captain Brian Cislo said. 

Randolph came out looking sharper in the second, firing every opportunity they could, but they found no reward for their efforts. The Ridgewood netminder looked like he was finding every puck being fired his way, until a 5-on-3 power play for Randolph where junior Drew George ripped a blistering shot by him, cutting the deficit to 2-1. 

“That got everyone so fired up and we just kept going harder from there,” George said.   

The 3rd period began with the score still at 2-1 but soon changed. A little over two minutes in, another power play was awarded to Randolph and saw a shot from George redirect off of sophomore Daniel Sharkey and in for the game-tying goal. With all the momentum on their side, Randolph decided they weren’t done when junior captain Jase Zangara fed a wonderful centering pass on to the tape of sophomore Keegan Melly, who found the back of the net to send the crowd into bedlam and give Randolph the lead, 3-2. 

That lead was short lived after an unfortunate break saw the Maroons tie the game at 3 apiece. 

“They got a lucky bounce, but we didn’t get down on ourselves. We wanted to win, and we showed it out there,” Krynicki said. 

The game remained tight as neither team gave an inch of open ice to the opposition. It wasn’t until a loose puck that had bounced out of a scrum along the boards was picked up by Sharkey, who walked in and fired home his second tally of the night, giving the Rams a 4-3 lead with 44 seconds remaining. Zangara would follow up 5 seconds later after intercepting a feed and depositing the dagger into a half empty net. 

“We’ve been working hard; we are all beaten and bruised,” Head Coach Rich Mclaughlin said. “We must make sure we get rest and take it game by game.” 

The Rams, now 22-0-1, advance to the North State Sectional Finals versus Northern Highlands today, Thursday, Feb. 29, starting at 4:30 p.m. at Mennen Arena in Morristown. 

About the Contributors
John Krynicki
John Krynicki, Staff Reporter
Senior John Krynicki is in his first year of the Journalism program at RHS. John is looking forward to writing sports articles this year, especially about Boys Ice Hockey, the team he plays for at RHS.
Liz Bukh
Liz Bukh, Photo Editor
Elizabeth (Liz) Bukh is a junior and the photo editor for Rampage. Liz has taken Intro to Photography as well as Photography I and II. This is her first year on staff at Rampage, and she is excited to take pictures for the school, whether they be for Rampage or the Yearbook. Outside of taking pictures, Liz does track and field and wants to work in the field of public relations in the future.