The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • RHS graduates 331 members of Class of 2024
  • Good luck to all RHS Class of 2024 grads
  • Rampage wishes everyone a happy, healthy and safe summer
  • Rampage is officially on summer break and will be back online in September

Rampage

Rampage

RMS Eighth Graders Dazzled by Arts Program Showcase at RHS

RMS+students+tour+the+broadcasting+studio+at+the+high+school+following+the+RHS+Arts+Program+Showcase%2C+held+on+Feb.+5%2C+2024.+
Tara Sterling
RMS students tour the broadcasting studio at the high school following the RHS Arts Program Showcase, held on Feb. 5, 2024.

RMS eighth graders–and soon-to-be members of the RHS Class of 2028–were captivated by an inspiring showcase of Randolph’s art programs and tour of the facilities, held at RHS on Feb. 5.

“I got to see all the fun activities I get to do when I go to high school,” RMS student Lucy DiCataldo said. “I’m mostly excited to join the dance program.”

The Randolph Drum Line greeted the RMS students as they arrived in the high school auditorium, setting the stage for an unforgettable experience. For many of these eager 8th graders, it was their first time at RHS, all they appeared to be filled with optimism as they took in the new surroundings at the high school.

At the beginning of the event, RHS Principal Jessica Baxter warmly welcomed the Class of 2028 then spoke about the various performing and visual arts opportunities offered at RHS. Under the direction of  Matthew Swiss, who teaches music at the high school, the RHS Acapella Group delivered their rendition of the national anthem, leaving the 8th graders visibly impressed with the performance.

I got to see all the fun activities I get to do when I go to high school. I’m mostly excited to join the dance program.”

— RMS student Lucy DiCataldo

Michele Adriano de Olivera, the RHS dance teacher, took the stage to describe the various levels of dance classes offered at RHS, and she guided the audience through the application process required for entry into advanced and intermediate dance classes

Members of the RHS dance program then performed an energetic routine showcasing the three levels of dance–advanced, intermediate, and introductory—before combining to perform to Pitbull’s song, “The Anthem.”

“I believe the dance program is a hidden gem at RHS and I hope our performance helped recruit new dancers for next year,” senior dance student Kaitlyn DiCataldo said. “Our performance was a perfect example of all the levels RHS dance has to offer.”

The RHS Wind Ensemble, directed by Band Director Nicholas Fantazzi, wowed the audience with their melody of songs from Jurassic Park.

“My hope is that we were able to provide a great representation of just one aspect of our band program by having our top auditioned ensemble perform for the 8th graders,” Fantazzi stated. “We wanted to showcase what is possible at the high school level.”

“I feel the 8th graders were interested and were listening with content and attention to our band performance,” RHS band student Anya Srivastava said. “This was a good display of our program in the way that it showed what band is mostly about, and what we do during the majority of it.”

These impressive performances allowed incoming freshmen to get a glimpse of all the amazing arts programs at RHS. When asked, current high school students said they eagerly await the arrival of the Class of 2028 and can’t wait to show them even more of what RHS has to offer.

Watch for the upcoming Band Concert on March 6 in the RHS auditorium and the Dance Showcase at RHS on May 30 and 31.

About the Contributor
Brett Shuster
Brett Shuster, Arts Editor
Junior Brett Shuster is an Arts Editor who participates in the journalism program at RHS, and this is her third year writing and editing for Rampage and TAPintoRandolph. Brett also co-runs the school-sanctioned Instagram account, @randolph.athletics. Brett not only writes about sports; she also plays field hockey.