The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Lacrosse beats Parsippany Hills, 13-2, in Morris County Tournament, First Round, on Tuesday, May 7, bringing season record to 7-5
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Mendham, 15-6, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Saturday, May 4, bringing season record to 5-9
  • Baseball bests Union, 20-3, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 16-4
  • Softball beats Roxbury, 2-1, in Morris County Tournament, Semifinal Round on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-7
  • Boys Volleyball loses to Vernon, 2-0, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 11-10
  • Boys Tennis beats Mountain Lakes, 4-1, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-4

Rampage

Rampage

Mid-Season Swim Update: Lady Rams and Fighting Rams Off to Strong Start

The+Lady+Rams+dive+in+against+Mount+Olive+to+win+the+meet%2C+91-78%2C+on+Dec.+12%2C+2023%2C+at+CCM.+
Ana Saguillo Leppanen
The Lady Rams dive in against Mount Olive to win the meet, 91-78, on Dec. 12, 2023, at CCM.

The Lady Rams and Fighting Rams have kicked off the 2023-24 swim season with a bang, building a winning record early. The Lady Rams currently stand at 4-1, and the Fighting Rams are at 3-1, creating momentum for the rest of the regular season. Here’s a rundown of meet highlights to date.

Randolph Beats Montville, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023

The Rams home opener was against the Montville Mustangs on Thursday, Dec. 7, at CCM. The Lady Rams left the pool with their first victory of the season, 112-58. Sophomore Peyton Enama secured wins in the 200 freestyle and 100 butterfly, along with Sydney Wright earning first place in the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke. The 500 freestyle was a full sweep for the girls with freshmen Alba Saguillo Leppanen, Jaidyn Young and sophomore Jane Doran each placing in the long-distance event. The Lady Rams ended the meet with a first-place finish in the 400-freestyle relay, swum by junior captain Ana Saguillo Leppanen, senior captain Camila Pena, Alivia Wright and S. Wright.

The Fighting Rams also ended their home opener with a 100-70 victory over the Mustangs. The boys started strong with victories from freshman T.J. Wangchuk in the 200 freestyle, junior Matthew Shortino in the 200 Individual Medley and senior captain James Lachica in the 50 freestyle. The Fighting Rams continued their momentum with first-place finishes by Shortino in the 100 butterfly and Lachica in the 100 freestyle. The 200 freestyle relay team with Lachica, freshman Adam Dalton, sophomore Marco Holder and Shortino took first place, and Wangchuk put more points on the board with a victory in the 100 breaststroke. To finish the meet, the 400 freestyle relay team of Lachica, Wangchuk, freshman Gavin Drazek, and Shortino secured the final victory of the night.

Randolph Wins @ Mount Olive, Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023

Next on the schedule for the Lady Rams was Mount Olive on Tuesday, Dec. 12, at CCM. Coming off a strong season opener, the girls were fired up, hoping to continue their winning streak. The ladies reached their goal with a 91-78 victory over the Marauders. The meet began with a win in the 200 freestyle by Alba Saguillo Leppanen, followed by first place finishes by S. Wright in the 50 and 100 freestyles. The end of the meet saw a win by Ana Saguillo Leppanen in the 100 breaststroke, and the Lady Rams left the pool undefeated.

After a fantastic season opener, the Fighting Rams successfully kept up their energy with a 106-63 win over Mount Olive. Junior Michael Diaz had the first victory of the meet for boys in the 200 freestyle, followed by first place touches by Shortino in the 200 individual medley and Lachica in the 50 freestyle, along with Holder securing second. Shortino and Dalton earned second and third in the 100 butterfly; followed by Diaz, Holder and Drazek finishing first, second and third in the 100 freestyle. Drazek dominated in the 100 backstroke, and Lachica and Wangchuk took first and second in the 100 breaststroke. The boys won both the 200 and 400 freestyle relays swum by Lachica, Holder, Shortino and Diaz. The Fighting Rams ended the meet at 2-0.

Randolph Falls to Mountain Lakes, Thursday, Dec. 21, 2023

The Lady Rams faced off against Mountain Lakes on Thursday, Dec. 21 at CCM as their final meet before winter break. The girls had their first defeat of the season, falling 79-91 in a thrilling meet at home. Alba Saguillo Leppanen touched first by .05 seconds in the 200 freestyle along with the 500 freestyle. Enama and Young finished first and second in the 100 backstroke, and the relay team comprised of S. Wright, Pena, Alba Saguillo Leppanen and A. Wright won the 400 freestyle relay. The Lady Rams left the last meet of 2023 with a record of 2-1.

The boys also lost their first meet of the season with a score of 79-91 against the Lakers. Diaz finished second, and Dalton finished fourth in the 200 freestyle, followed by a second place finish by Shortino in the 200 Individual Medley. Lachica placed second, and Holder placed fourth in the 50 freestyle. The Fighting Rams lifted their spirits with a first place finish by Shortino in the 100 freestyle and a first place finish in the 500 freestyle by Diaz, followed by his brother, freshman Gabriel Diaz, who placed second. Lachica was successful in the 100 breaststroke, touching first, and the meet ended with a 400 freestyle relay victory by M. Diaz, Drazek, Shortino and Lachica.

Randolph Wins @ Pequannock, Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024

To ring in the New Year, the Lady Rams traveled to Passaic County Technical Institute to meet Pequannock. The girls hoped to bounce back after break, which they did in a 119-48 victory. The first relay of the meet, the 200 medley, was won by Ana Saguillo Leppanen, Alba Saguillo Leppanen, Enama and senior Leah Ohlssen. They continued to dominate with first place finishes by S. Wright in the 200 freestyle and 100 backstroke, Peyton Enama finished first in the 200 individual medley and 100 butterfly, Pena touched first in the 50 freestyle, and A. Wright won the 100 freestyle. The 200-freestyle relay team with Alba Saguillo Leppanen, A. Wright, Pena and S. Wright finished first; followed by freshman Ateesa Mulondo, Ohlssen, junior Livia Fontes and Doran finishing second; and a third place finish by sophomore Aishvi Mehta and seniors Rishika Dubey, Jennifer Bloom and Brianna Vallejo. The Lady Rams won their first away meet, 3-1.

The Fighting Rams entered 2024 with a 104-60 victory over the Golden Panthers. Shortino dominated the 200 freestyle, followed by second and third place finishes by Lachica and Drazek in the 200 individual medley. The 50 freestyle included a second place finish by M. Diaz, third place by Holder and fourth by junior Jaidev Paulraj. Wangchuk finished second in the 100 butterfly, and senior Kyle Hart took third. M. Diaz won the 100 freestyle and was followed by Drazek and Holder for third and fourth place finishes, respectively. Dalton and G. Diaz took second and third in the long distance 500 freestyle, which was followed by a victory in the 200 freestyle relay swum by Lachica, Wangchuk, Shortino and M. Diaz. The 100 backstroke had second, third and fourth place finishes by Shortino, freshman James Ward and Hart, along with Lachica, Wangchuk and Paulraj in the 100 breaststroke. The meet concluded with a first place finish in the 400 freestyle by G. Diaz, freshman Cole Pankowski, Hart and Drazek. The Fighting Rams ended their first meet of the New Year with a record of 3-1.

Randolph Beats St. Elizabeth, Monday, Jan. 8, 2024

The Lady Rams had their second meet of 2024 in a girls only showdown against St. Elizabeth, resulting in a 107-59 victory for the team. The meet started off strong with Ana Saguillo Leppanen taking first in the 200 freestyle, A. Wright touching first in the 200 individual medley and S. Wright winning the 50 freestyle. The girls kept their momentum up with a second place finish by Enama in the 100 butterfly, first by S. Wright in the 100 freestyle and first by A. Wright in the 500 freestyle. The 200 freestyle relay squad of Ana Saguillo Leppanen, Pena, A. Wright and S. Wright dominated the event, followed by a first place touch by Ana Saguillo Leppanen in the 100 breaststroke. The girls ended with a victory in the 400 freestyle relay swum by A. Wright, Pena, Enama, and S. Wright, securing another win for the now 4-1 Lady Rams.

The Fighting Rams and Lady Rams next take on Roxbury, today, Thursday, Jan. 18, at 2:30 p.m. at CCM.

About the Contributor
Jane Doran
Jane Doran, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Jane Doran is eager for her first year on Rampage as a Staff Reporter in addition to being enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism I class. Outside of writing articles, Jane swims for the RHS Girls Swim Team and coaches younger age groups for her club team. When she is not swimming, Jane is involved with the Marching Rams as a Drum Major and plays alto saxophone. Jane is excited to write about Visual and Performing Arts as well as Sports.