• Boys Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 6-5, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 7-6
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Mendham, 15-6, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Saturday, May 4, bringing season record to 5-9
  • Baseball loses @ Delbarton, 2-0, in Morris County Tournament, Semifinal Round, on Saturday, May 11, bringing season record to 16-6
  • Softball loses @ Morris Catholic, 3-1, in Morris County Tournament, Final Round, on Saturday, May 11, bringing season record to 12-8
  • Boys Volleyball beats Hunterdon Central, 2-0; loses to Old Bridge, 2-0, on Friday, May 10, bringing season record to 12-11
  • Boys Tennis loses @ Montville, 3-2, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 12-5

Randolph Boys Varsity Basketball Falls to Delbarton in Nail-Biting Finish

Randolph+Boys+Varsity+Basketball+lines+up+for+the+national+anthem+before+a+disappointing%2C+last-minute+loss+to+Delbarton%2C+56-53%2C+on+Wednesday%2C+Jan.+3%2C+2024.++
Je9shots on Instagram
Randolph Boys Varsity Basketball lines up for the national anthem before a disappointing, last-minute loss to Delbarton, 56-53, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2024.

The underdog Randolph Boys Varsity Basketball Team lost to Delbarton in a hard-fought loss at home, 56-53, on Wednesday, Jan. 3.

The Rams had started the season off strong with a 4-3 record coming into the game against a 7-1 Delbarton. The Rams were looking to create momentum against a talented conference opponent, so it was a disheartening loss for both players and fans.

In the first quarter, the Rams came out firing, led by senior co-captain guard Rocco Albano, who ran the floor effectively and got the Rams ahead, along with senior co-captain point guard Ryan Kress and sophomore guard Tristan Durkin, who both hit early 3-pointers to elongate the lead. Kress would continue to be dominant in the first quarter to keep the Rams on top. In addition, the Rams defense held Delbarton to 13 points, ending the first quarter with a 17-13 lead.

“It was good knowing we already played them; we had a good idea of their overall gameplan and personnel,” Kress said. “I think our pace was our tempo for the majority of the game, which was definitely good.”

The Delbarton offense started to get hot in the second quarter as more players contributed to the scoring and came out tougher on rebounds and defense.

Rams senior center Jake Miller opened the second quarter, scoring an easy layup on an assist from Albano, showing that the Rams were a threat both from behind the 3-point line and in the paint. Miller would continue to be an asset in scoring and rebounds for the Rams offense. The Rams were able to run the floor well, allowing them to get shots up quickly and challenge the Delbarton defense. However, the Delbarton offense won the quarter, giving them the 30-29 lead entering the half.

“We did a great job of playing together. We moved the ball well and got out in transition, which was great for us,” head coach Nick Lavender said.

Kress started the third quarter with a fadeaway jumper following a 45-second possession. Scoring on both ends slowed down, though both teams were able to capitalize on transition buckets. The Rams defense, led by Miller, would make stops at critical times that kept the game close. Delbarton ran the floor effectively too, drawing fouls and scoring in transition to match the Rams, and the final minute remained scoreless, ending in a 40-40 game entering the fourth quarter.

“Tie game entering the fourth, so we knew we needed to stick to the game plan and continue to rebound,” Lavender said.

With the final quarter starting as a tie, fans knew the final minutes would be a thriller. Delbarton started the scoring early with a steal and fast break layup to put them ahead. The Rams continued with their plan of running the floor, and, with an assist from Kress to Albano, the Rams tied things back up. This was immediately followed by a Kress 3-pointer to put the Rams up by three. Both teams started to hit shots, and the game went back and forth for the final two minutes. Delbarton capitalized on free throws and a fast break to put them up by four with just over 15 seconds left. This forced the Rams to foul and put Delbarton on the free throw line to go up 56-51. Kress scored an open layup with a second left on the clock. It did not matter, though, as Delbarton was able to inbound the ball and kill the clock to win the game, 56-53.

“Our guys never backed down to any challenge and fought hard to the end. I was very proud of them,” Lavender said.

The Rams are scheduled to play next at West Morris Central on Friday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m.

About the Contributor
AJ Terry
AJ Terry, Staff Reporter
Junior AJ Terry is in his first year of the Journalism program at RHS, and he is excited to be a staff reporter for Rampage. Along with being a part of the Journalism staff, AJ plays baseball for Randolph as well as a club team in the summer and fall, and he participates in the AAPI and Hebrew Culture clubs at the high school