• Boys Lacrosse beats West Essex, 17-6, on Tuesday, April 30, bringing season record to 6-5
  • Girls Lacrosse beats Roxbury, 18-3, in Morris County Tournament, Second Round, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 5-8
  • Baseball wins @ Livingston, 10-2, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 13-3
  • Softball loses @ Jefferson, 4-2, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 10-6
  • Boys Volleyball beats Sparta, 2-0, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 10-7
  • Boys Tennis beats Mount Olive, 5-0, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 9-4

Randolph Boys Ice Hockey Mercies Madison: Sharkey and Zangara Lead Way with 4-Point Games

Team photo of sophomore Daniel Sharkey, one of the top scorers in Randolphs 10-0 mercy game against Morristown on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2023.
Carly Ellermeyer
Team photo of sophomore Daniel Sharkey, one of the top scorers in Randolph’s 10-0 mercy game against Morristown on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2023.

The Randolph Rams Boys Ice Hockey team demolished the Madison Dodgers, ending the game 10-0 just two minutes into the third period on Thursday evening, Dec. 14, at Mennen Arena in Morristown. The Rams improved to 3-0-0 on the season.

“We were focused on making good plays which led to our quick goals right off the bat,” junior captain Jase Zangara said.

The Randolph squad came out firing, looking to start the season with three consecutive wins. The first half of the period remained scoreless until Zangara found twine off a centering feed from sophomore Daniel Sharkey.

The Rams asserted their hard forecheck on a sluggish Madison defense and potted three more unanswered goals in four minutes.

Madison’s best chance to get back in the game occurred late in the first period. A 5-on-3 powerplay was thwarted by the Rams’ penalty kill unit and senior netminder John Krynicki, who recorded his first career shutout, stopping 9 of 9.

“We need to have more discipline, and we know it,” Krynicki said about the penalty infractions. “It doesn’t matter who we are up against; we cannot put ourselves in that position.”

The Rams added one last tally, again from Zangara, to close out the period, 5-0.

“That boosted our confidence for the rest of the game and helped us put even more pucks in the back of the net,” Zangara said.

The second period remained status quo for the boys in blue and white, as they continued to keep up their relentless attack. A goal in the final seconds of the period came off the stick of sophomore Keegan Melly to make it a nine-goal deficit for the Dodgers.

A little more than two minutes into the final frame, Sharkey collected his hat trick and fourth point, scoring his third goal of the night and ultimately ending the game, 10-0.

“We must continue to play defense first,” Assistant Coach Kyle Krannich said. “We have the talent this year to go far, we just can’t let ourselves become complacent just off a hot start.”

In their next match up, the undefeated Rams have a big test on Sunday evening, Dec. 17, where they will battle it out @ Wayne, at The Ice Vault at 7:30 p.m.

About the Contributors
John Krynicki
John Krynicki, Staff Reporter
Senior John Krynicki is in his first year of the Journalism program at RHS. John is looking forward to writing sports articles this year, especially about Boys Ice Hockey, the team he plays for at RHS.
Carly Ellermeyer
Carly Ellermeyer, Multimedia Editor
Junior Carly Ellermeyer is ecstatic to be the first-ever Multimedia Editor for Rampage, now in its second year online. She is an aspiring communications major with a newfound passion for filming and editing. This is Carly's third year on the Rampage staff and her second year as an editor. Outside of her role for Rampage, Carly can be found performing on stage.