• Boys Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 6-5, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 7-6
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Mendham, 15-6, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Saturday, May 4, bringing season record to 5-9
  • Baseball loses @ Delbarton, 2-0, in Morris County Tournament, Semifinal Round, on Saturday, May 11, bringing season record to 16-6
  • Softball loses @ Morris Catholic, 3-1, in Morris County Tournament, Final Round, on Saturday, May 11, bringing season record to 12-8
  • Boys Volleyball beats Hunterdon Central, 2-0; loses to Old Bridge, 2-0, on Friday, May 10, bringing season record to 12-11
  • Boys Tennis loses @ Montville, 3-2, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 12-5

Girls Swimming Preview: Lady Rams Fired Up for New Season

The+Lady+Rams+celebrate+their+107-63+victory+over+Montville+on+Dec.+19%2C+2022.+They+ended+the+2022-2023+season+at+7-4%2C+after+an+NJSIAA+quarterfinals+loss+and+hope+to+extend+their+run+even+further+this+year.+
Jane Doran
The Lady Rams celebrate their 107-63 victory over Montville on Dec. 19, 2022. They ended the 2022-2023 season at 7-4, after an NJSIAA quarterfinals loss and hope to extend their run even further this year.

The Randolph Lady Rams swim team is recharged for the winter after an admirable 2022-2023 season, ending 7-4. The girls defeated Montville, Mount Olive, St. Elizabeth’s, Roxbury, Pequannock and Morris Hills in the regular season, along with Middletown South in first round of the NJSIAA Tournament.

The Rams only fell to Mountain Lakes, Morris Knolls and Kinnelon in the regular season, as well as Scotch Plains-Fanwood in the quarterfinals of the NJSIAA tournament for North 2, Group B.

Although the Lady Rams had a successful post-season last year, the team hopes to extend their run this year. The girls had to let go of a large graduating class last year, including Katie Chang, Kiersten Drazek, Anjelina Fernandez, Isabel Kao, Christa Kayal and Caroline Kovacs.

Leadership has also shifted from the previous season; the Lady Rams are now represented by two team captains, senior Camila Pena and junior Ana Sagullio-Leppanen, shifting from three seniors previously.

Despite being small, the senior class of Lady Rams is mighty. Pena shines in the 100 and 200 freestyle, along with the 200 and 400 freestyle relays. Jennifer Bloom succeeds in a variety of events, mainly the 100 butterfly and 200 IM. Leah Ohlssen is a diverse swimmer who’s strong in the 100 backstroke, in addition to the 200 freestyle and 200 and 400 freestyle relays.

The juniors are a well-balanced group, featuring key sprinters. Saguillo-Leppanen dominates in the 100 breaststroke and 500 freestyle, along with the medley and freestyle relays. Kisa Mulondo is an important asset to all the relay teams and the exciting 50 freestyle. Livia Fontes performs in the 100 backstroke and the 200 medley and 400 freestyle relays.

The sophomore girls of the team are important to the overall dynamic of the squad. Peyton Enama is a diverse swimmer who does well in the 100 butterfly and 500 freestyle, along with the 100 backstroke and relays. Jane Doran focuses on distance with the 500 freestyle, along with the 200 medley relay. Sydney Wright sprints with the 100 backstroke and freestyle, along with occasional appearances in the 50 freestyle and 400 freestyle relay. Alivia Wright swims the 100 breaststroke, as well as the 200 IM and relay events. Aishvi Mehta participates in all three relay events: the 200 medley, 200 freestyle and 400 freestyle.

Two freshmen to watch are Alba Saguillo-Leppanen and Ateesa Mulondo. With their sisters on the team and a heavy club background, the pair are a dynamic addition to the 2023-24 Lady Rams.

“I think this year our team can improve by growing stronger connections and bonds with each other in order to motivate and bring out our fastest races,” Saguillio-Leppanen said. With the new balance and dynamic of the team, building friendships and motivating each other will be the key to success.

The Lady Rams take on Montville at CCM today, Thursday, Dec. 7, at 2:30 p.m. in their first meet of the season.

About the Contributor
Jane Doran
Jane Doran, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Jane Doran is eager for her first year on Rampage as a Staff Reporter in addition to being enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism I class. Outside of writing articles, Jane swims for the RHS Girls Swim Team and coaches younger age groups for her club team. When she is not swimming, Jane is involved with the Marching Rams as a Drum Major and plays alto saxophone. Jane is excited to write about Visual and Performing Arts as well as Sports.