• Boys Lacrosse beats Parsippany Hills, 13-2, in Morris County Tournament, First Round, on Tuesday, May 7, bringing season record to 7-5
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Mendham, 15-6, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Saturday, May 4, bringing season record to 5-9
  • Baseball bests Union, 20-3, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 16-4
  • Softball beats Roxbury, 2-1, in Morris County Tournament, Semifinal Round on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-7
  • Boys Volleyball loses to Vernon, 2-0, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 11-10
  • Boys Tennis beats Mountain Lakes, 4-1, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-4

2023-2024 Winter Sports Preview

Robert Harris
Star Girls Basketball player and current junior Aliyah Lambo dribbles the ball during a 2022-2023 game. Lambo is one to watch this coming season, with prior stats averaging 11 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists per game.

The varsity winter sports teams at RHS are gearing up for their season opener games, meets and matches. Here’s what you need to know to help you get the most out of the 2023-2024 season.

Boys Ice Hockey, Season Opener Is Thursday, Dec. 7

Last year’s team had a successful season, earning a 14-4-4 record and making it to the quarterfinal round of the NJSIAA tournament. Rich McLaughin coaches this year’s team.

“Our goal has always been the same, to play on March 4th and win the state championship,” commented John Krynicki, a veteran member of the team.

The team lost five former seniors to graduation last year, including Zach Gallo and Connor Thomas. This year, the team will look to succeed with key players like junior Jase Zangara and sophomore Daniel Sharkey.

This year’s season opener is on Dec. 7 against Morristown.

Girls Ice Hockey, Season Opener Is Wednesday, Dec. 13

Last year’s record was 7-8-1, with the team getting knocked out in the first round of the state tournament. The team lost seven former seniors to graduation least year, including Steph Martin and Anna Stock. Current senior Joelle Yurchuk will lead the team this year.  The team coach is Ryan Hallock.

“Our goal for this year is to make it further in States,” sophomore skater Amelia Kolbik said. “We have Joelle, who’s a really good defender and has skated her whole life. We also have a great goalie in senior Stephanie Xhumba.” Kolbik also noted that the team is looking forward to playing at the Prudential Center for the first time on Jan. 4, 2024.

Girls Hockey faces off against Cranford on Dec. 13 to start the 2023-2024 season.

Boys Basketball, Season Opener Is Thursday, Dec. 14

Last year’s record was 11-15, with the team getting knocked out during the first round of the NJSIAA tournament.

The current team lost six former seniors to last year’s graduation. “We graduated a lot of our size and muscle from last season, but we bring some really good guard play,” Head Coach Nick Lavender commented. “I’m excited to see our team come together and grow into what I think can be a real contender this season.”

Lavender noted that the team was “fortunate” to bring back its two captains, Ryan Kress and Rocco Albano. “We’ll look to them to be our leaders on and off the floor. We also bring back two guys who played some big minutes last year and can hopefully continue to contribute this year in Vincent LoVerde and Jake Miller.”

The team start off the season at Sparta on Dec. 14.

Girls Basketball, Season Opener Is Thursday, Dec. 14

The Girls Basketball team is coming off of a good run last year, enjoying a 27-3 record and making it to the Group 3 State tournament finals.

This year’s team lost five former seniors to graduation last June, but not to worry, the team still holds plenty of talent including juniors Kayla Brand and Aliyah Lambo and senior Katie Tighe.

The new head coach is Mark Cacciacarne, following Peter Torres’s departure after six years.

The season opener is against Sparta High School on Dec. 14.

Boys Swimming, Season Opener Is Thursday, Dec. 7

Similar to the girls team, the boys team will also be coached by Krystal Hoffman. The boys ended the last season with a 6-4 record and made it to the NJSIAA, North 1, Group B tournament quarterfinals.

This year’s team only lost two former seniors to graduation last year, and current RHS senior James Lachica is a team leader to watch this season.

The first meet this season is on Dec. 7 against Montville.

Girls Swimming, Season Opener Is Thursday, Dec. 7

Last year, the girls swim team record was 7-4, with the team making it to the quarterfinals of the state tournament. “Last season ended on a pretty high note, with us making it to the third round of States and almost winning,” returning sophomore Peyton Enama said. “I think as a team we came a long way last year, which makes me excited for this season because this year’s team is a great group of girls who are ready to swim and make great memories together.”

This year’s team lost six seniors to graduation, including team leader Caroline Kovacs. Upcoming sophomore Sydney Wright is one to watch out to make up the loss, and Krystal Hoffman returns as coach. The first meet this season will be against on Dec.7 against Montville.

Girls Winter Track, Season Opener Is Thursday, Dec. 14

Last season, the team came first overall in the Morris County Relay Championships and still has plenty of potential to do it again this winter. The team lost several former seniors to last year’s graduation including Samantha Willis and Ariyana Jackson.

This year’s team remains strong with returning sophomores Carlie Wysocki, Lilah Willis, Gabby Ball, juniors Chelsea Renna and Mia Mugavero and incoming freshman Carly Renna. Senior swim leaders include Morgan Behar, April Kusnier and Izzy Crosson. Kevin Higgins is the head coach.

Wrestling, Season Opener Is Saturday, Dec. 16

Last year’s team had a solid season with a 15-7 record. They also made it to the NJSIAA, North 1, Group 4 tournament quarterfinals. The team lost seven former seniors to graduation last year, but has strength in current wrestlers like junior Dean Mangiocavallo.

The team starts off the season on Dec. 16 at Caldwell High School.

About the Contributor
Jamie Donnelly
Jamie Donnelly, Staff Reporter
Jamie Donnelly is a sophomore who participates in the Journalism program at RHS. This is her first year writing for Rampage, and she is looking forward to it. In addition to writing for Rampage, Jamie also plays soccer and loves to listen to music.