• Boys Lacrosse beats Parsippany Hills, 13-2, in Morris County Tournament, First Round, on Tuesday, May 7, bringing season record to 7-5
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Mendham, 15-6, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Saturday, May 4, bringing season record to 5-9
  • Baseball bests Union, 20-3, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 16-4
  • Softball beats Roxbury, 2-1, in Morris County Tournament, Semifinal Round on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-7
  • Boys Volleyball loses to Vernon, 2-0, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 11-10
  • Boys Tennis beats Mountain Lakes, 4-1, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-4

Boys Swimming Preview: Fighting Rams Prepare for Exciting 2023-2024 Season

Members+of+the+2022-2023+Boys+Swim+celebrate+after+a+win+last+season.+This+years+2023-2024+team+is+poised+to+advance+even+further+in+the+NJSIAA+tourney+than+last+years%2C+when+they+were+eliminated+in+the+quarterfinals.+
Conor Poetsch ’23
Members of the 2022-2023 Boys Swim celebrate after a win last season. This year’s 2023-2024 team is poised to advance even further in the NJSIAA tourney than last year’s, when they were eliminated in the quarterfinals.

Boys Swim kicks off this week, with the Fighting Rams ready to recharge and reload the team as they strive for a different outcome this coming season, after last year’s devastating loss to Northern Highlands in the NJSIAA quarterfinals.

Despite losing star seniors Connor Poetsch and Devon DeMuth to graduation last June, the Fighting Rams have maintained a well-balanced squad, comprised of both talented rookies and returning swimmers, all of whom are poised to shine in their individual events.

“We graduated some great seniors last year, and they have left some gaping holes in our team,” senior captain James Lachica said. “But we have had a significant turnout of new swimmers, and we’ll be looking to build our strength and speed as the first meet of the season approaches.”

Lachica himself is a strong asset to the team who not only succeeds in freestyle and breaststroke sprints but also helps increase the energy level and improve team morale at swim meets. Kyle Hart, a fellow senior, swims the 200 and 500 freestyle, along with the 200 and 400 freestyle relays.

Additionally, the Fighting Rams have several juniors who are ready to put points on the board for the team. Matthew Shortino and Michael Diaz are two more sprinters who swim competitive events, including the 200 IM, 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke.  Along with Shortino and Diaz, Jaidev Paulraj also contributes to the relay teams, consisting of the 200 medley relay and the 200 and 400 freestyle relays.

The younger members of the team, including sophomores Marco Holder and Richard Torrente have been major additions for the Rams. Holder holds strength in two energetic events, the 50 and 100 freestyle. Torrente swims longer distances, including the 500 freestyle.

Newcomers to the team have strong club and competitive backgrounds, including Gavin Drazek and Thuksey Wangchuk. Despite being rookies, the new class of Fighting Rams is promising and will support the team throughout the season in new events.

“I’m looking forward to practicing with the new team and getting to know everyone,” Lachica said.  “I know this season won’t be a walk in the park, but I’m excited for the challenge.”

As the NJAC Southern 1 Division gets more competitive, the Fighting Rams will have tough opponents but are ready to fight for a winning record.

The Fighting Rams have their first meet of the year against Montville on Thursday, Dec. 7, at CCM at 2:30 p.m.

About the Contributor
Jane Doran
Jane Doran, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Jane Doran is eager for her first year on Rampage as a Staff Reporter in addition to being enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism I class. Outside of writing articles, Jane swims for the RHS Girls Swim Team and coaches younger age groups for her club team. When she is not swimming, Jane is involved with the Marching Rams as a Drum Major and plays alto saxophone. Jane is excited to write about Visual and Performing Arts as well as Sports.