The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Ice Hockey beats Millburn, 10-1, at first round of States, on Tuesday, Feb. 20, bringing undefeated season record to 20-0-1
  • Boys Basketball beats Mount Olive, 65-53, on Saturday, Feb. 17, bringing season record to 14-13
  • Girls Basketball loses @ Morristown, 41-22, on Thurssday, Feb. 8, bringing season record to 11-12
  • Girls Ice Hockey loses @ Chatham in Cohen Cup, Quarterfinal Round, 8-0, on Wednesday, Feb. 7, bringing season record to 2-15
  • Boys Swimming wins @ Morris Knolls, 88-82, on Friday, Jan. 26, bringing season record to 4-3
  • Girls Swimming beats Hanover Park, 103-67, in NJSIAA Tournament, First Round, on Thursday, Feb. 1, bringing season record to 6-4
  • Boys Fencing wins @ Kinnelon, 22-5, on Tuesday, Feb. 6, bringing season record to 7-1
  • Girls Fencing wins @ Kinnelon, 21-6, on Tuesday, Feb. 6, bringing season record to 5-3

Rampage

Rampage

Opinion: Music Education Is Food for the Soul, and Randolph Offers a Feast of Classes for Students

Gretchen Tuttle
Students taking an orchestra class at RHS practice a piece of music on Nov. 15, 2023.

Music is a powerful medium used around the world; it is an expression of art through sound, practiced across diverse cultures throughout history. Schools worldwide, including those in Randolph, offer music through various classes including band, orchestra and choir.

“Music education is important because studies have shown that students get better grades in their classes, do better on standardized testing and get into better colleges when they participate in music ensembles,” said Nicholas Fantazzi, one of the band directors at RHS.

Orchestra, choir and band are taught in the Randolph elementary schools, and all three are beneficial as students learn to play music and sing at a young age. Musical opportunities and outlets are provided to students throughout middle and high school.

“It’s important in schools mainly to recruit and inspire kids at a young age, so that they have exposure to something they can expand on throughout their lives, whether it be outside of school or in college,” senior orchestra student Elizabeth Morgievich said.

Students in the music program at RHS invariably form a tightly knit community. “Band is important because we learn lessons while having fun and making friends,” said Jane Doran, a sophomore band member. “Band has allowed me to meet my best friends and people who share common interests, which has been extremely special.”

The music programs at Randolph teach students how to produce their own music, along with teaching them the history of music in different cultures, which allows them to get an intricate understanding of music and the impact it has on their daily lives.

“There is something so powerful and fulfilling about being able to perform live with an ensemble of like-minded people, trying to create the most beautiful music imaginable and connecting emotionally with your audience,” said Michael Lichtenfeld, another band director at RHS.

“Music education is largely about learning why music makes us feel the way it does,” he added. “One combination of sounds can evoke a certain feel, and a different combination of sounds can convey a completely different vibe. Music education is about learning how music impacts our lives and learning how we as musicians can compose, produce and perform to connect with our listeners.”

The richness of the music programs in the Randolph schools allows students to come together in a lively environment that is filled as much with the sound of music as it is with the heartfelt emotion that student musicians put into creating and playing their pieces for an appreciative audience.

About the Contributor
Gretchen Tuttle, Opinion Editor
Gretchen Tuttle is a sophomore who is enjoying her second year at Rampage as an opinion editor. She also writes for TAPinto Randolph as part of the TAP club. Gretchen is also on the Cross Country and Lacrosse teams at RHS. In her free time, she enjoys baking and spending time with her pets: Oreo, Scout, Spooky and Rocket.