The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Lacrosse beats West Essex, 17-6, on Tuesday, April 30, bringing season record to 6-5
  • Girls Lacrosse beats Roxbury, 18-3, in Morris County Tournament, Second Round, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 5-8
  • Baseball wins @ Livingston, 10-2, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 13-3
  • Softball loses @ Jefferson, 4-2, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 10-6
  • Boys Volleyball beats Sparta, 2-0, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 10-7
  • Boys Tennis beats Mount Olive, 5-0, on Wednesday, May 1, bringing season record to 9-4

Rampage

Rampage

Randolph Lax Star Connor Cuonzo Commits to Scranton University

Connor Cuonzo

Randolph Senior Connor Cuonzo recently committed to play college lacrosse at Scranton University.

“Playing in college was always a lifetime goal for me,” Cuonzo said. “I think what stood out to me [at Scranton] was how close the team was and the energy they bring. They are always competing with one another, which I love.”

Cuonzo has been a great asset to the Rams. He has been a reliable midfielder, contributing on both sides of the field. He has netted 24 goals and 25 assists in the past two varsity seasons, improving every year.

“Connor is an all-around, very talented player,” senior teammate Jake Weiner said. “He’s a great defender, but he can also score in big moments. He’s a guy that anyone on the team trusts to have the ball in his stick.”

When I saw Connor commit to Scranton, I was very proud of him. Watching him grow and playing with him over the past 10 years has been a pleasure, and I know he’ll do great things there.”

— Senior Rams teammate Eddie Wysmierski

“Connor is one of the team’s main producers on offense,” senior teammate Jake Miller added. “He is a guy that we can tell to go score a goal at any time. Connor is also a great feeder off of the dodge, as he has a great sense of the field. Because of his high IQ and field sense, he makes a great defender as well. Put him on the field with the defense, and he will understand the rotation.  Connor is irreplaceable and a huge part of our team’s success.”

Cuonzo’s teammates agreed that his willingness to improve and high work rate helped make him the successful player he is today. “Connor did a lot to improve his lacrosse skills by working on his shot day in and day out,” Miller stated. “His extra work really showed in practice, and the goals and assists started to roll in for him. His talent was outstanding to begin with, but his effort and hard work really showed it off.

“Connor has grown his offensive game tremendously, now being able to create his own shot against some of the best defenders in the state with ease,” senior teammate Eddie Wysmierski added. “I’ve witnessed first-hand the countless hours he put in the backyard, going through game-like situations to make sure he’s ready come game day.”

Cuonzo has become a leader on the Rams through his play, attitude, drive and willingness to push his teammates to greatness. “Connor is one of the best teammates I’ve ever played with,” Wysmierski said.

“He pushes the guys around him and expects only the best from them,” Miller added. “He has always pushed me to be a better lacrosse player, even when I didn’t feel like it. Connor always has an extra gear to improve himself and in turn, made me want to improve as well. I can’t thank him enough for supporting me and pushing me as a teammate.”

Cuonzo is looking forward to taking his skills to the next level and helping his Randolph team win it all this year. “I am excited for playoffs because I believe we will go a long way with all of our upperclassmen talent that we have,” he said.

Cuonzo will graduate with the Scranton Class of 2028. He plans on pursuing a major in accounting.

About the Contributor
Colin O’Meara
Colin O’Meara, Editor-in-Chief
Colin O’Meara is a senior and an Editor-in-Chief of Rampage. Colin has also written articles for TAPinto Randolph and was enrolled in Mrs. Finnell's Journalism I class last year. Outside of writing for Rampage and TAP, Colin is a member of the Team Harmony Club, Science National Honor Society, Math National Honor Society, and English Honor Society. He also participates in the boy's soccer team and the boy's track team for Randolph.