• Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

Randolph Drumline Returns to Celebrate Spirit Week

Senior+tenor+drummer+Ben+Herring+keeps+the+beat+while+hanging+upside+down%2C+supported+by+fellow+section+members+%28from+left%29+Dane+Fordahl%2C+Jonathan+Ford+and+Bassel+Daniel%2C+during+a+lunchtime+Drumline+performance+to+celebrate+Spirit+Week%2C+held+in+the+Main+Gym+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+19%2C+2023.+
Lindsey Kudriavetz
Senior tenor drummer Ben Herring keeps the beat while hanging upside down, supported by fellow section members (from left) Dane Fordahl, Jonathan Ford and Bassel Daniel, during a lunchtime Drumline performance to celebrate Spirit Week, held in the Main Gym on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2023.

The RHS Drumline gave their beloved, annual lunchtime performance to celebrate Spirit Week on Thursday, Oct. 19.

The Drumline consists of three types of drums, snare, tenor and bass, and is a section of the Marching Band. The Drumline starts practicing for upcoming performances in August and continues perfecting their routines throughout the fall.

“We look forward to the performance, since it lets us showcase what we’ve been working on for the last few months,” junior bass drummer Dane Fordahl explained. “The best part of the performance is seeing the crowd get excited and hyped.”

The Drumline Spirit Week performance is a Randolph tradition. Ten percussionists are selected every year to perform and march down the halls of RHS, while the rest of the performers are part of the front ensemble or pit.

The most memorable part of the performance is when they perform specialized tricks, such as throwing their sticks back and forth or flipping tenor drummer senior Ben Herring upside down. These flashy tricks help gather crowds and garner school spirit.

“Ben is very good at what he does,” Fordahl continued. “He’s able to play upside down or blindfolded; it just takes a lot of practice.”

“We do a lot of work to put on a great show; we put our heart into this school,” Herring explained. “We are the way we are because of everyone’s individual effort and the impact it makes on our work.”

About the Contributor
Lindsey Kudriavetz
Lindsey Kudriavetz, Editor-in-Chief

Lindsey Kudriavetz is a senior and an editor-in-chief for Rampage. Lindsey has been writing articles since her freshman year and completed Mrs. Finnell's Journalism I and II classes. Lindsey primarily writes sports articles, and she is also passionate about sports photography. Outside of writing, Lindsey is the executive producer for the Ram Report and editor-in-chief for the yearbook. She is also on the varsity softball team as a pitcher.

View Comments (1)

• T

TurnerOct 30, 2023 at 9:13 am

I love the drumline!

Reply