• Boys Lacrosse wins @ Livingston, 8-6, on Monday, May 13, bringing season record to 8-6
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Glen Ridge, 15-10, on Tuesday, May 14, bringing season record to 6-10
  • Baseball loses @ Roxbury, 7-6, on Tuesday, May 14, bringing season record to 16-8
  • Softball wins @ Roxbury, 3-0, on Monday, May 13, bringing season record to 13-8
  • Boys Volleyball beats Jefferson, 2-0, on Tuesday, May 14, bringing season record to 14-11
  • Boys Tennis beats Madison, 3-2, on Monday, May 13, bringing season record to 13-5

Randolph Football loses to Chatham, 28-8, on Saturday, Sept. 23, at Cougar Field

Saturday+Night+Lights%3A+Despite+a+strong+start%2C+the+Rams+ultimately+fell+to+the+Chatham+Cougars%2C+28-8%2C+on+Saturday%2C+Sept.+23%2C+2023%2C+at+Cougar+Field.+
Joey Viespoli
Saturday Night Lights: Despite a strong start, the Rams ultimately fell to the Chatham Cougars, 28-8, on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023, at Cougar Field.

Despite a solid start from Randolph, Chatham ultimately took the win, 28-8, before an enthusiastic crowd on Cougar Night, on Saturday, Sept. 23.

“I was ready to go win a football game and was going to try my hardest to make that goal happen,” said sophomore Cornerback and Slot Receiver Mason Wilson after the game.

The Rams opened strong with a mix of carries from seniors Jesse Wilfong and Josh Anderson pushing on their defense. Anderson hit sophomore Linebacker and Wide Receiver Justin Novak on a post to set up the Rams at the 1-yard line for an easy punch in by Wilfong. The Rams went for the 2-point conversion, with an easy score from Wilfong, to give Randolph an 8-0 lead.

Chatham answered back with a quick 2-minute drive; the Cougars were able to connect through the air and drove into the redzone.

After a play from Wilfong that was called back, Chatham came out hot on the Rams defense, making the score 14-8.

“I think our main focus was to limit the big plays on defense and stop them from moving the ball as much, and offensively our focus was sustaining our drives better and moving the ball as much as we could,” said Novak about the Rams’ main focus coming out of halftime.

After another failed drive from Anderson, the Rams went into the second half trailing.

Chatham did not slow down going into the second half, however, scoring almost immediately, giving them a lead of 20-8.

Randolph’s defense forced a fourth down and 8 but was not able to get off the field due to a fake punt by Chatham. The Cougars continued to drive as they were able to punch in another running touchdown, adding insurance to their lead.

Going into the fourth quarter, junior Jack Smith came in to relieve Anderson. Despite hopeful runs from Wilfong, Novak, Wilson and senior James Kleiven, t­­­he Rams’ next possessions were unsuccessful, leading the Cougars to take a knee as time expired, securing the 28-8 victory for Chatham.

“We have to work harder, and nothing is ever given or guaranteed,” sophomore Middle Linebacker Joey Bosotina said. “Everyone needs to give effort day in and day out.”

The Rams will look to bounce back at home against Morristown on Friday, Sept. 29.

About the Contributors
Eli Kahn
Eli Kahn, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Eli Kahn is a Staff Reporter for Rampage at RHS. This is his first year on staff at Rampage, and he is excited to cover a variety of athletic events for the Rams. Eli likes to take part in many leadership programs both inside and outside of school. He plays baseball and participates in jazz band, playing the piano.
Aedan Perez
Aedan Perez, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Aedan Perez is a staff reporter for Rampage who covers sports at RHS. Aedan plays volleyball for the high school and for his club. In his free time, Aedan likes to watch sports and hang out with his friends.
Joey Viespoli
Joey Viespoli, Staff Reporter
Staff reporter Joey Viespoli is a senior at Randolph High School and a part of the Randolph football program. Joey has been with the program throughout all four years of his high school career and was elected team captain this year. Joey is a leader on the football field and in the classroom. Apart from this, Joey has been working since he was 14 years old and spends a lot of time with his friends and family.