• Boys Lacrosse beats Parsippany Hills, 13-2, in Morris County Tournament, First Round, on Tuesday, May 7, bringing season record to 7-5
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Mendham, 15-6, in Morris County Tournament, Quarterfinal Round, on Saturday, May 4, bringing season record to 5-9
  • Baseball bests Union, 20-3, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 16-4
  • Softball beats Roxbury, 2-1, in Morris County Tournament, Semifinal Round on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-7
  • Boys Volleyball loses to Vernon, 2-0, on Thursday, May 9, bringing season record to 11-10
  • Boys Tennis beats Mountain Lakes, 4-1, on Wednesday, May 8, bringing season record to 12-4

Mendham Field Hockey Narrowly Defeats Rams, 1-0, on Friday, Sept. 15

Jenine Hellyer
Co-Captain Riley Novak prepares for a hit downfield before Mendham edges out the Rams, 1-0, on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023. Three days later, the Rams would bounce back, with a 5-2 victory over Morristown, on Monday, Sept. 18, 2023.

Editor’s Note: Before Randolph Field Hockey’s 5-2 bounce back win against Morristown, on Monday, Sept. 18, the Rams narrowly lost to Mendham, 1-0, on Friday, Sept. 15. Rampage rookie reporter Jack Novak filed this report from the field shortly after the loss, but before Monday’s bounce back victory.

Randolph field hockey was barely defeated by the Mendham Minutemen, 1-0, on Friday, Sept. 15, at the Minutemen’s home field.

Randolph’s relatively young team took a big hit after last year’s season, losing 10 seniors to graduation. Despite this, flashes of potential among the remaining players invoked hope for a successful new season, especially as these rising stars of the field hockey program logged more experience on the field.

“We are working to get all of our new varsity players up to speed on what is expected in a varsity game,” Head Coach Gina Adickes said after the Mendham game. “To start seeing more successes, we need to match our skills and IQ to our heart and hustle.”

In the Mendham game, during the first four minutes of the first quarter, Mendham’s offense initiated momentum for the Minutemen with a goal on the Rams goalie, junior Jessa Altemose.

While the rest of the half was mostly played on one side of the field, with Mendham continuing to apply pressure on the Randolph defense, Altemose completely shut down the Minutemen attack until the buzzer rang at the end of the half.

“At halftime, I stressed to the team that it’s important to stay to the basics and stick to the fundamentals that we learned during preseason and throughout our careers,” senior Co-Captain Riley Novak recalled. “That was how we kept the ball and the pressure up on the offensive half of the field in the second half.”

The Rams ultimately took advantage of this momentum going into the second half,  keeping the ball on Mendham’s side of the field throughout most of the latter half of play. With Randolph gaining many corner penalty opportunities, Mendham’s aggressive defense was evident in this neck-and-neck match.

Sophomores Irene Pardo and Daniella Gizienski showcased their incredible stick work to dodge Mendham’s defenders and create goal opportunities to score. However, Randolph’s attack was unable to capitalize on these chances.

After a final attempt at a goal from senior Summer Walsh, the Rams were not able to come back against the Minutemen.

“We are in the toughest conference in our county; we have to step up,” Adickes concluded. “I believe in them, and we can have a really powerful team. This team really connects off the field. They are each other’s biggest cheerleaders.”

Randolph faces Montville tonight, at home, on Senior Night, starting at 5:30 p.m.

About the Contributor
Jack Novak
Jack Novak, Staff Reporter
Jack Novak is a freshman staff reporter for Rampage. As he is enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism 1 class this year, Jack is eager to develop his journalistic skills his year. Jack plays basketball and lacrosse for the high school. and spends much of his free time playing basketball year-round with his Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team. At school, in addition to writing for Rampage, Jack is involved with the Bridges Club, Chess Club and Hebrew Culture Club. His hobbies include fishing, listening to music and watching his favorite show, "Impractical Jokers."