Randolph Softball Enjoys 12-2 Record and No. 1 Ranking in NJAC, Including Four Mercies in a Row

Girls Softball takes a selfie after beating Mount Olive, 11-0, with their fourth mercy ruling in a row, on Thursday, April 27, 2023.

Kiersten Tinio, Staff Reporter

Girls Softball is a team to watch, with a current record of 12-2 and No. 1 ranking in the NJAC at 5-2. Thanks to the team’s skilled at bats and tight defense, the Rams are now also enjoying a seven-game winning streak.

This includes beating four of their latter opponents with mercy rulings, namely Mendham, 15-0, on April 18; Morris Hills, 13-3, on April 20; Morristown, 10-0 on April 25, and Mount Olive, 11-0, on April 27. Most recently, the team took another win from Morristown, 2-0, in the Morris County Tournament, Second Round.

“The team has found our groove and it feels really good knowing what we are capable of for a tough week coming up,” senior captain Rebecca Hai said.

Over the past five games, the Rams have totaled 54 runs and 62 hits. Sophomore Autumn Liebhauser currently leads the team in hits (23), home runs (6), runs (23), and RBIs (18).

“Our bats have really started to come alive this year,” senior Emily Hirschfeld said. “Communication is always something that our team has been good at, whether on the field or off the field.”

The Rams’ fourth mercy in a row, this time against Mount Olive, 11-0, on April 27, earned typically impressive stats for the team and several key players. In the second inning, the Rams tallied seven runs, led by seniors Hirschfeld and Hai, sophomores Liebhauser and Hannah Bermudez, and freshman Cassidy Smith.

In the same game, freshman Breanna Colburn was on the mound for the Rams and surrendered zero runs on five hits over five innings, striking out one and walking one. Randolph displayed their skilled defense and did not commit any errors in the field.

“We’ve put a big emphasis on hitting this year and it’s definitely showing in the runs we’re scoring,” senior captain Jessica Glacken said.

The Rams are up against challenging competition this week, playing Morris Knolls next, on Thursday May 4, and then Sparta, on Friday, May 5.