Randolph Softball Mercies Morris Hills, 13-3, on Teacher Appreciation Night

Randolph+Softball+beat+Morris+Hills%2C13-3%2C+ending+the+home+game+with+a+mercy+ruling%2C+on+Thursday%2C+April+20%2C+which+was+also+teacher+appreciation+night.+Pictured+are+the+eight+seniors+on+the+team+with+their+honored+teachers.+

Randolph Softball beat Morris Hills,13-3, ending the home game with a mercy ruling, on Thursday, April 20, which was also teacher appreciation night. Pictured are the eight seniors on the team with their honored teachers.

Lindsey Kudriavetz, Sports, News, and Photo Editor

Randolph Softball trounced Morris Hills,13-3, ending the game with a mercy ruling, on Thursday, April 20, which was also teacher appreciation night.

The Rams played an impressive game at home, led offensively by senior captain Kiersten Tinio and sophomores Autumn Liebhauser and Rebecca Dasti.

“On teacher appreciation night, it was really meaningful and special that we were able to get a huge win for the sweep against Morris Hills,” Tinio said. “It was also great to know that the teachers who came for teacher appreciation night were really supportive and cheered us all on.”

Randolph got off to a relatively slow start, picking up two runs within the first three innings, with Liebhauser hitting a home run on the first pitch of the game. As the innings continued, Randolph ramped up the runs, collecting 11 more to mercy Morris Hills.

By the end of the game, the Rams had 15 hits in 35 at-bats; Liebhauser hit two home runs, Dasti had three hits with two RBIs, and Tinio had three hits with one RBI.

“Everyone was communicating with each other in the field, which is one of the reasons we were able to get the win,” Tinio continued. “I could tell that everyone wanted this win and our bats were hot and runners were aggressive on the bases too.”

The eight seniors on the team also honored selected teachers in a ceremony before the game. “Coming for teacher appreciation and staying to see the Rams mercy their opponents made the day doubly special,” honored teacher Janice Finnell said. “The girls are playing spectacularly well, and they deserve all the success they’re enjoying this season.”

The Rams play Morristown next, today, Tuesday, April 25 at home.