Season Preview: Girls Track and Field Anticipates Another Successful Season

Girls+Track+and+Field+is+gearing+up+for+a+successful+spring+season.+Pictured+is+the+winter+team+after+their+Morris+County+Relay+win+on+Jan.+3%2C+2023.+

Girls Track and Field is gearing up for a successful spring season. Pictured is the winter team after their Morris County Relay win on Jan. 3, 2023.

Brett Shuster, Staff Reporter

Randolph Girls Track and Field athletes are getting ready for another triumphant season this spring. Given the team’s successful winter season and overall past success of the program, the team is optimistic about their first scheduled dual meet, being held at RHS on April 4.

“Coming off of a successful indoor season, we will be one of the stronger teams in Morris County,” Head Coach Kevin Higgins said. “As our team has returned to normal numbers, we will have good depth and can cover a lot of events. We have a nice combination of returning athletes along with many newcomers.”

The team has an impressive ability to perform in a variety of events, so the strong reputation of Randolph’s track program seems ready to shine in this upcoming season. The most anticipated events include the 100-meter hurdles as well as the 4×200, 4×800, and 4×1600 meter relays.

Helping the team’s goal of having a successful season is Captain Ariyana Jackson, who said she has been working hard in the off-season. “Compared to my season last year, I feel this season would be much better because of my determination,” Jackson said. “This is my last year at RHS, and I want it to be the best season I’ve had since starting freshman year.”

“We will be led by senior Ariyana Jackson, who is one of the most talented and versatile track athletes in the county, starring in hurdles, sprints, and throws,” Coach Higgins said. “Samantha Willis will be running spring track for the first time after several successful indoor and cross-country campaigns and will head up our distance crew, which had a great indoor season.”

The Rams will try to recover from the loss of key seniors who graduated last year including Erin Finley, who is now running at Boston College, and Sarah Bona, who is now running and playing field hockey at Middlebury.

“We had a lot of successful individual athlete, so fans can expect to watch them make it far again this spring,” sophomore sprinter and jumper Samantha Alley said. “The girls’ team had an amazing performance at county relays, and a great showing at state relays and as state champs, so we will hopefully see success again there too.”