Hat Trick from Sharkey Leads Randolph to Playoff Victory

Ram+Jack+Rueff+%286%29+and+teammates+celebrate+a+goal+toward+a+9-0+win+against+Roxbury+in+the+first+round+of+States+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+22%2C+2023.+

Ram Jack Rueff (6) and teammates celebrate a goal toward a 9-0 win against Roxbury in the first round of States on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2023.

Lindsey Kudriavetz, Sports Editor

Randolph Boys Ice Hockey won their first round of States, 9-0, against Roxbury on Wednesday, Feb. 22, at SportsCare Arena.

“This is definitely a statement year for us as we were knocked out early last year, so it’s a mix of eagerness to really show what we can do,” senior captain Connor Thomas said. “It’s a bittersweet feeling because although this is what we have been working toward, it also just kind of marks the end of something that has been so great to be a part of.”

The first period started slowly despite an offensive push from Randolph. Roxbury’s defense was strong; however, the Rams began to break through when freshman Daniel Sharkey scored with less than two minutes left in the first period, assisted by seniors Jack Rueff and Zach Gallo.

Sophomore Jacob Campbell continued that momentum, scoring a buzzer-beater to end the period with a two-point lead, assisted by sophomores Drew George and Jase Zangara.

“We got pucks in deep, kept it simple and stuck to our game,” Rueff explained. “We didn’t play to the best of our ability, but we know it’s only going to get harder from here, so we have to get ready and focus.”

The Rams continued to roll past Roxbury’s defense in the second period, with a quick goal from freshman Vincent Crisufulli, assisted by Brian Cislo and Ryan Potanovich. Sharkey scored two more goals to finish the period, assisted by Gallo, Rueff, Potanovich, and Cislo. Ram’s defense continued to shut out Roxbury, ending the period, 5-0.

Randolph continued to dominate during the third period, with Cislo scoring immediately, assisted by Zangara and Potanovich. Gallo found the back of the net, followed closely by another goal from freshman Ryan Thomas. Sophomore Drew George, assisted by Campbell and Zangara, finished the game with a final goal, ending the game, 9-0.

“The win was just one of the four steps we have to make for this run, and I think it was good to get us back into the swing on a good note since our last game,” Thomas said. “The only thing that matters is what we bring into these next two practices and how we can use that to propel us into our game on Monday.”

Goalie Thomas had a shutout game against the Gaels, with the Rams defense only allowing eight shots on goal.

Randolph now moves on to the second round of the state tournament, playing Ramapo on Monday, Feb. 27, at SportsCare Arena.