Dreams Come True at Randolph High School Choir and Theater’s Magical Cabaret Night

Accented by vibrant stage lights, junior Aydan Salim sings “Your Fault” from “Into the Woods” at Cabaret Night on Friday, Feb. 10.

Rachel Zuckerman, Campus Life Editor

The Randolph High School Choir and Theater Booster Association dazzled audience members with their outstanding annual Cabaret Night, this year titled “One Night with THE Mouse,” which was performed in the high school auditorium on Friday, Feb 10.

After a dinner catered by multiple local restaurants, families and friends gathered to watch the students’ amazing renditions of their favorite Disney songs. The performances consisted of a variety of solo, duet and ensemble pieces, all prepared by Matthew Swiss, the director of choral activities at RHS.

“It is an amazing privilege to work every day in putting together such a great program with a great group of kids,” Swiss explained. He dedicated himself alongside the performers to putting together a lively show that audience members were sure to enjoy.

The event began with a variety of nostalgic songs including “Part of Your World” from “The Little Mermaid,” written by Alan Menken and featuring senior Andrew Berkemeyer and junior Amaia Biggan; “Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?” from “Frozen” by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez and sung by sophomore Tina Yuan; and “Journey to the Past” from “Anastasia” by Stephen Flaherty and sung by sophomore Pooja Das.

Each song smoothly transitioned into the next performance, reflecting the undeniably polished effort and hard work from the choir students. Following these four stellar songs, the vocalists performed two songs from “Tangled” by Alan Menken: “When Will My Life Begin?” featuring sophomore Alexa Rowe, which transitioned right into “Mother Knows Best,” performed by junior Bridget DeConto.

“I am in awe of all these performers because you can tell how much time and effort they dedicated,” said Rishika Dubey, a junior drama club member watching the performance. “They really took me to Disney.”

The subsequent songs demonstrated the choir’s brilliant storytelling abilities, and included a medley from “The Aristocats,” performed by seniors Autumn Carmona and Raina Patel and sophomore Carolyn Marconi”; “Be Prepared” from “The Lion King” by Elton John featuring seniors Conner Cafero, Sarah Agostin and Alexa Helmke and sophomore Gerlad Creighton; as well as “Moments in the Woods” from “Into the Woods” by Stephen Sondheim, sung by junior Amelia Diaz.

Taking the stage after those songs were junior Ciarra Ryan and sophomore Tyler Pietrzykowski in “That’s How You Know” from “Enchanted” by Alan Menken; “I Won’t Say I’m in Love” from Hercules, also by Menken and performed by sophomores Alexa Rowe, Mikayla Watkins and junior Amaia Biggan; “Love is an Open Door” from “Frozen” performed by juniors Shauna Gelman and Ciarra Ryan; “It Only Takes A Moment” from “Wall-E” by Jerry Herman, featuring senior Jaylynn Crespo and junior Turner Allen;  “Wouldn’t Change A Thing” from “Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam” by Adam Anders et al., featuring senior Vanessa Baron and sophomore Harsh Magdum; and “What I’ve Been Looking For” from “High School Musical” by Andy Dood and Adam Watts, featuring sophomores Emma Basa and Vaishnavi Swarna.

Members of the choir did a terrific job of creating original interpretations of well-known songs. Their comradery truly promoted an upbeat environment that was entertaining for all who watched.

The first Act finished with a preview of a number from the RHS spring musical, “Fiddler on the Roof.” The song “Matchmaker” was performed by juniors Amelia Diaz and Amaia Biggan, sophomores Tina Yuan and Vaishnavi Swarna and freshman Hannah Hutchinson. (Editor’s Note: “Matchmaker” is one of the songs the phenomenal cast will be performing on March 24 and 25. Tickets for the show are currently available on rhs.booktix.com.)

After the Cabaret intermission, the RMS Canzonetta performed “Touch the Sky” from “Brave,” prepared by Randolph Middle School Choir Director Ann Kelly. Senior Jean Torrente and her freshman brother Richard Torrente continued the show with an adorable performance of “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” from “Lilo and Stitch” by Alan Silvestri. A heartwarming performance of “No Matter What” from Alan Menken’s “Beauty and the Beast” by juniors Amelia Diaz and Aydan Salim continued the streak of incredible talent afterward.

The lighting, courtesy of senior Sophia Fliegler, and costumes were unique to each performance. These creative additions especially complemented seniors Sarah Agostin, Jaylynn Crespo, and Sasha Foster’s rendition of “When We’re Human” from “The Princess and the Frog”; juniors Amaia Biggan, Amelia Diaz and Aydan Salim, and sophomores Mikayla Watkins and Tina Yuan’s ensemble showstopper performance of “Your Fault”; and “Last Midnight” from “Into the Woods” and “Colors of the Wind” from “Pocahontas” performed by the RHS Chamber Choir.

“You’ll be Back” from “Hamilton,” hilariously performed by a fully costumed Turner Allen, was a prime example of the choir’s distinctively lighthearted personality. The choir students’ playful stage presence was also seen in “If I Didn’t Have You” from “Monsters Inc.” performed by seniors Vanessa Baron and Conner Cafero, and in “I See the Light” from “Tangled,” performed by sophomores Emma Basa and Pooja Das.

The final song was a fan favorite among the students and gave chills to audience members. Arranged by Swiss, the RHS Symphonic Choir and RMS Canzonetta performed a medley from “Hunchback of Notre Dame” with soloists Sarah Agostin, Emma Basa, Andrew Berkemeyer, Autumn Carmona, Pooja Das and Ciarra Ryan that truly captured the talent and passion possessed by the choir students.

“Cabaret is fun, fancy and fantastic,” choir senior Alexa Helmke said. “It’s a magical night that will always be cherished and remembered.”