• Boys Lacrosse wins @ Pope John, 11-4, on Friday, April 19, bringing season record to 4-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses @ Immaculate Heart, 12-6, on Monday, April 22, bringing season record to 4-6
  • Baseball loses to Mendham, 4-3, on Tuesday, April 23, bringing season record to 11-2
  • Softball loses to Morris Knolls, 5-2, on Tuesday, April 23, bringing season record to 8-4
  • Boys Volleyball beats Chatham, 2-0, on Monday, April 22, bringing season record to 7-7
  • Boys Tennis beats Morristown, 5-0, on Monday, April 22, bringing season record to 5-3

‘Into the Woods’ Premieres Tonight

Amelia Diaz
Members of the cast and student orchestra rehearse a dance number for “Into the Woods.” which premieres tonight, Thursday, March 21, at 7:00 p.m. in the high school auditorium, with additional shows on March 22 at 7:00 p.m. and March 23 at 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

The RHS Drama Club dives into the fairy-tale world of Steven Sondheim’s “Into the Woods,” which premieres tonight, March 21, at 7:00 p.m. and continues with shows on March 22 at 7:00 p.m. and March 23 at 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. in the high school auditorium.

Drama Club students have been busy practicing dances created by the student choreographers, junior Emma Basa and freshman Julie Dennison.

“This show was not made for traditional theater choreography,” Basa said. “I wanted to make sure to reflect this depth in our production through the choreography, so many of the movements in the show were included with symbolic intention. Choreographing this show has been such a unique and eye-opening experience through a new lens of musical theater.”

Along with the choreography, the Drama Club students are working on their harmonies and rhythms to prepare for the difficult music.

“I actually really like learning difficult music,” said Junior Pooja Das, who plays Cinderella. “I feel like doing songs like ‘Your Fault’ and ‘On the Steps of the Palace’ have pushed me past my comfort zone because they are so fast and wordy. Getting the chance to do these songs has helped me improve as a musician.”

The challenging musical numbers have also been assisted professionally. Randolph alumna and actress Lea Sevola came to rehearsal and workshopped some of the more complex songs.

“I love working with Lea Sevola,” Das continued. “She has such incredible advice, which has helped me develop more organic and fun acting choices.”

The music is challenging for the singers and students playing in the orchestra. The orchestra had the chance to attend some practices and get firsthand experience performing with the actors, before tonight’s opening night.

“There are so many benefits to working with the actors as we’re learning our music together,” said senior Evan Shapo, an orchestra pit member. “Sondheim has a way to make the orchestra sound as if we’re intentionally playing something at the wrong time because there’s no context for us to know what’s happening onstage. When we’re rehearsing with the actors it makes so much more sense, because we get to hear our cues.”

Students in the show have been tirelessly working to make the upcoming performances as memorable as possible. Performances start tonight, March 21, at 7:00 p.m. and continue on March 22 at 7:00 p.m. and March 23 at 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. in the RHS auditorium.

Show your support for the club by purchasing a ticket for “Into the Woods,” now on sale for performances on March 21, 22, and 23, at https://rhs.booktix.com.

About the Contributor
Shauna Gelman
Shauna Gelman, Staff Reporter
Shauna Gelman is a senior at RHS and a staff reporter for Rampage. She is also participating in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism I class. Shauna is a member of the color guard and takes part in Randolph’s theater productions. Outside of school, Shauna enjoys spending time playing with her two-year-old mini poodle, Loki.