Featured Athlete: Connor Poetsch, Boys Swim Team

Boys+swim+co-captain+Connor+Poetsch%2C+shown+swimming+the+500+freestyle+at+County+College+of+Morris+on+Jan.+10%2C+2022%2C+will+be+at+the+helm+of+the+team+this+season.+Both+the+boys+and+girls+swim+teams+face+Montville+in+their+season+opener+meet+on+Thursday%2C+Dec.+15%2C+at+Morris+County+College.+

Boys swim co-captain Connor Poetsch, shown swimming the 500 freestyle at County College of Morris on Jan. 10, 2022, will be at the helm of the team this season. Both the boys and girls swim teams face Montville in their season opener meet on Thursday, Dec. 15, at Morris County College.

Jenny Bloom, Staff Reporter

Senior Connor Poetsch, a reigning co-captain of the boys swim team, said he looks forward to dedicating himself to yet another successful season this winter, following last year’s admirable 7-3 record. The first boys and girls varsity meet of the 2022-2023 winter season is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 15, against Montville at Morris Country College.

Poetsch has received remarkable results throughout his swimming career, including noteworthy times of 5:09.48 in the 500 freestyle, his favorite event, at the sectional final meet against Tenafly, held last season on Feb. 17. However, his fastest time that year was a 5:00.78 against Mountain Lakes on Dec. 10. Poetsch also clocked in at 1:51.73 in the 200 freestyle at the State Sectional Finals in 2022.

With his incredible accomplishments and hardworking mentality, by the end of last season, Poetsch was eager to become a co-captain of the swim team and be an excellent role model for his teammates. That goal became a reality when he was named a co-captain of the swim team in March of 2022 at the end-of-season banquet, alongside senior Devon DeMuth.

“It was something I had been working toward throughout my high school swimming career,” Poetsch said. He noted that being named co-captain was not something he took lightly; instead, he saw earning this rewarding position as being a great honor for him. Poetsch emphasized that he understood the responsibility he holds for his teammates’ motivation and interest in swimming, especially after grueling practices and meets that didn’t hold the expected results.

“I want to make sure the team brings back team bonding events that were common before the pandemic because I felt they were important in creating a team atmosphere in a primarily individual sport,” Poetsch said. As co-captain, Poetsch said he hopes to inspire a sense of comaraderie and set obtainable goals with his teammates to help prepare everyone for the upcoming season.

“This year as a captain, one of my goals is for us to bounce back from graduating over 10 seniors last year and qualify for the state playoffs,” Poetsch said. Last season, the Fighting Rams Swim Team saw numerous graduating seniors move on from the swim program. With such a loss, Poetsch said he was excited to make a comeback and have a successful season with his team.

Poetsch has continuously shown a commitment to the swim team throughout his previous seasons, and his excitement has not gone unnoticed. His passion for swimming began at the age of seven and culminated with his becoming a valued member of the boys swim team at the high school. “I love to swim because I can work both on myself and together with my team at practice,” Poetsch said.

“Connor has been a dedicated athlete both to the Rams and his club swim team,” said assistant swim coach Kathleen Van Valen, who also teaches science at the high school. “Last season he qualified for the New Jersey Meet of Champions due to his skill and dedication. I look forward to seeing what he accomplishes this year both as a swimmer and as a team captain.”

Poetsch’s swimming career will most likely continue to grow after he graduates in June, as he plans to swim at the collegiate level and hopes to eventually qualify for the NCAA nationals. In terms of his academic goals after graduating, Poetsch said he plans to major in business in college, so he can ultimately pursue a career in accounting.

This season, however, Poetsch is expected to play a major role on the swim team, as is his co-captain, DeMuth. When asked what three qualities Poetsch planned to promote in this upcoming season, he replied, “Unity, improvement and success.”