The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

Rampage

Rampage

Wrestling Wrap-Up: Season Ends with Nico Gregory Making It to States and 11-16 Record

Junior captain Dean Mangiocavallo takes down a Sparta wrestler on Dec. 16, 2023. The team finished with a record of 11-16, after losing in the group finals to Mt. Olive. 

Randolph Wrestling had a winter season full of ups and downs headlined by senior Nico Gregory’s run to States in Atlantic City. The team finished with a team record of 11-16, after losing in the group finals to Mt. Olive. 

The team included nine seniors, eight of them returning wrestlers. Throughout the season, the team dealt with multiple injuries to key starters. “For the number of injuries and newer, less-experienced people we had in the lineup, we did fairly well,” senior wrestler Peter Mendoza said. Though the team dealt with a lot of adversity throughout the season, the run to the group state finals was remarkable.  

“We were able to advance seven wrestlers to the regional tournament,” Head Coach Brian Picillo explained. “As a team, we were able to get healthy towards the end of the season. The boys started to peak down the stretch, which contributed to us making the sectional finals. In the district tournament we placed second as a team. We have taken a lot of steps forward as a program this season and the boys are excited to continue that into the off-season training.” 

The brightest spot of the wrestling season was senior captain Gregory’s remarkable run to the 2024 NJSIAA New Jersey Wrestling State Championship, held in Atlantic City from Thursday, Feb. 29 to Sunday, March 3. “It felt awesome making States, and I’m glad that all the hard work I put in paid off,” Gregory said.

Unfortunately, Gregory lost both of his matches in Atlantic City, but that did not take away from it being a positive experience for the star wrestler. “My experience at States was very nice,” Gregory said. “Wrestling in a stadium was a new experience for me, and I’m glad I was able to get there as a senior.”  

About the Contributor
Ross Posner
Ross Posner, Staff Reporter
Ross Posner is a senior staff reporter for Rampage who is in the first year of the journalism program. In addition, Ross is the co-president of the Mock Trial club. In his free time, he enjoys watching sports and hanging out with friends. He recently committed to Ithaca College and plans to major in sports media.