Legacy of Multi-Club Toy Drive Keeps Holiday Spirit Alive

Senior Hans Petit Frère shows the vast collection of donated toys, which were given to residents of the Jersey Battered Women’s Shelter in Morristown, just in time for the holidays in December of 2022.

Rachel Zuckerman, Campus Life Editor

The holiday season may be over, but memories of the holiday spirit live on for residents of the Jersey Battered Women’s Shelter (JBWS), who received over 200 donated toys just in time for the holidays, thanks to a toy drive held at the high school.

The toy drive was a joint effort, hosted by the Black Student Union (BSU) in collaboration with Team Harmony and the Gender and Sexuality Alliance Club. “The holiday season is all about giving,” said junior Aydan Salim, the vice president of the BSU.

Salim was one of the many members from all three clubs who helped run the toy drive as well as other club efforts. Being an active member, Salim noted that he recognizes the importance of giving back to his community. “Nothing else could have helped me feel more festive than helping others,” he said.

“I thought it was important to step up and help others who may not have opportunities like Randolph,” said Antonette Berkeley, the BSU advisor and a school counselor at RHS.

Berkeley noted that Randolph is a fortunate community that can give back to families who may not have the same opportunities. By donating to the JBWS, the Randolph community was able to contribute to the happiness of many children and families.

“It’s not about receiving gifts, it’s really about giving, appreciating and feeling seen,” Berkeley said.

Editor’s Note: JBWS is a is a private, confidential service, located in Morristown, that welcomes survivors of dating, domestic or partner abuse (and their family members). For more information, visit their website at https://jbws.org.