The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • Boys Lacrosse wins @ Glen Ridge, 15-3, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 5-4
  • Girls Lacrosse loses to Morris Knolls, 10-5, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 4-7
  • Baseball loses to Ridge, 6-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 11-3
  • Softball loses @ Lenape Valley, 2-1, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-5
  • Boys Volleyball beats Morristown, 2-0, on Wednesday, April 24, bringing season record to 8-7
  • Boys Tennis wins @ Morris Knolls, 5-0, on Thursday, April 25, bringing season record to 6-3

Rampage

Rampage

RHS Drama Department Delights Audiences with Shakespeare’s “As You Like It” 

The+cast+members+of+As+You+Like+It+take+a+bow+following+their+performance+on+Friday%2C+Dec.+1%2C+2023.+
Sofie Hagadorn
The cast members of “As You Like It” take a bow following their performance on Friday, Dec. 1, 2023.

The RHS Drama Department delivered amusement, creativity and talent to appreciative audiences with their rendition of Shakespeare’s “As You Like It,” performed in the high school auditorium on Friday, Dec. 1 and Saturday, Dec. 2.

The performances conveyed an updated interpretation of the 16th-century classic, which used original dialogue from Shakespeare’s comedy but added modern musical numbers that showcased a variety of flamboyant dances, choreographed fight scenes and exceptional vocal talent.

The tale explores the characters’ adventures through the colorful and exhilarating Forest of Arden, presenting themes of love, relationships, gender roles and self-discovery. The spirited and lovable characters experience blossoming romance, navigate hardships and discover self-expression in their society.

“My favorite scene to perform was when I went straight from yelling at a guy to asking Andy to marry me,” said senior Shauna Gelman, who played Touchstone. “The crowd’s reaction to this scene made all the hard work seem to pay off.”

The expert set design was simple yet immersive, transforming the stage into a wonderful world of imagination and amusement. The set required versatility as well, since this was the Randolph Drama Department’s first time ever producing a double feature, with alternating performances of “As You Like It” on Thursday, Nov. 30 and Saturday, Dec. 2., also in the high school auditorium.

“I loved the small cast because we all got to bond, and it was so much fun to experiment and play together,” said senior Amaia Biggan, who played Jacques. The double feature also offered more opportunities for drama students to land roles and bond with one another, both on and off the stage.

In addition to the gifted cast, credit is due to director Jacob Burlas, assistant director Courtney Messina, musical director Matthew Swiss and the other staff members who dedicated their hard work to both productions.

“My favorite part was playing Orlando because in a sense, I felt like I wasn’t even acting because he was so silly and playful,” noted senior Aydan Salim, who also contributed to student directing, a fantastic opportunity for seniors in Drama Club.

“I feel like I wouldn’t be who I am today if I didn’t have Randolph Drama Club because I’ve created so many friends and so many jokes,” Salim added. “I honestly learned who I was and explored who I could be as a performer, and it just hit me that this is my final year.”

About the Contributor
Kaitlyn DiCataldo 
Kaitlyn DiCataldo , Media Producer, Staff Reporter
Senior Kaitlyn DiCataldo has been a contributing Staff Reporter for Rampage since her freshman year and is currently enrolled in Mrs. Finnell’s Journalism I class to further her knowledge and experience in writing. Kaitlyn is a Media Producer for the Multimedia section, but she also enjoys writing Opinion and Arts articles. Kaitlyn is also producer of the Ram Report, where she explores her passion for media production and broadcasting.