Senior Art Show Exhibits Talent and Professionalism of Class of 2023 Art Students

The RHS Department of Visual Arts presented the annual Senior Art Show on Thursday, May 25, 2023, in the high school Commons. Pictured: A display of ceramic and two-dimensional artwork by senior Julianna Troast.

Jessica Ackerman, Arts Editor

The RHS Department of Visual Arts, which includes ceramics, drawing, painting, fashion design and photography classes, proudly presented the annual Senior Art Show on Thursday, May 25.

The senior section of the Commons was a sea of eye-catching colors and dazzling creations in celebration of the culmination of these students’ creativity and talent. Each student’s unique display of their own work captured their talent, artistry and personality.

Sophia Fliegler, a student in Tracey Platt’s ceramics class, based her art on parts of her identity and said she was proudest of her portrait of her favorite artist, David Bowie; a ceramic sculpture of her cat and a carefully detailed traditional Passover Seder plate to honor her Jewish heritage.

Each eye-catching piece by Fliegler, including the poster for the RHS Drama Club production of Fiddler on the Roof, which she illustrated, “was a culmination of the ways the art program here allowed us to think creatively,” she said. “No project was just cut and paste, which helped us make what we had always imagined come to life.”

Chloe Spingarn has been involved in Randolph art classes since her freshman year. Her art show display showed evidence of her being a well rounded and talented artist, displaying works in such varied mediums as drawing, painting, photography and fashion. Spingarn’s gallery perfectly displayed her personality through her use of bright pastels to depict flowers and nature as common themes in her art.

Spingarn’s eye-catching display also featured two pieces of clothing that she had sewn and crocheted. Spingarn took AP Art, Photography and fashion in her senior year and will be going to Kent State to pursue fashion design next year.

“I was excited that I was allowed to have full creative freedom with all facets of my art,” Spingarn said. “I was able to bring in mannequins along with pieces of clothing I made to be displayed with the art I made in school.”

Ariyana Jackson, another student in Platt’s ceramics class, created artwork based on her life, inspired by family, friends and sports. Her sculptures included a track shoe, a water fountain, the love of her friends in form of peas in a pod and mixed media.

“One of my projects I am most proud of is called ‘It’s What We Do’,” Jackson said. “The reason why I am so proud of it is because it represents my lineage and dedication to my sport. I created the shoe after my first pair of spikes I received when I started track in eighth grade. Sports has also been in my family for generations, and I wanted to make a piece that represented it.”

Emilia Ingold, one of Shayla Nolan’ cellphone photography students, created photos in either dark colors or black and white. “The favorite thing about my art is that I can capture the dark aspect of it,” Ingold said. “I focused on having darker colors, so it can portray more emotion in the photos. Not only did I capture it in my photos, but also in the editing aspect of my art too.”

Some of the students who presented their work are also proud members of the RHS branch of the National Art Honor Society (NAHS). Those attending graduation on Thursday, June 15, may want to keep an eye out for the rainbow cords these honors art students will be proudly displaying over their gowns.