The Student-Run News Site of Randolph High School

Rampage

Breaking News
  • RHS graduates 331 members of Class of 2024
  • Good luck to all RHS Class of 2024 grads
  • Rampage wishes everyone a happy, healthy and safe summer
  • Rampage is officially on summer break and will be back online in September

Rampage

Rampage

RHS Celebrates Teacher Appreciation Week

RHS celebrated national Teacher Appreciation Week from May 6 to May 10, 2024. Pictured: Senior Allie Milligan (right) appreciated English Teacher Kristin Poff.

RHS celebrated Teacher Appreciation Week in style, with school administrators, staff and students giving well-deserved props to approximately 122 educators at the high school, during the week of May 6 to May 10.

The origin of the annual holiday dates back to 1953, when Arkansas school teacher Mattye White Woodridge thought there should be a celebration dedicated to teachers. In 1953, she convinced lawmakers to adopt the first full week of May as a national celebration of educators.

RHS held many celebratory events for its educators. The Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO) and administrators sponsored a luncheon and a grab-and-go dessert bar, so teachers could dig in to their favorite sweet treats, as well as a traveling snack cart.

Ms. Poff is the most supportive, understanding teacher I have ever had. I am very grateful for her guidance and to have her as my teacher.”

— Allie Milligan, senior

Students also honored their favorite educators with thank you notes, posters and shout-outs all week long. Most students agreed that teachers had positively impacted their lives, and it was heartwarming to see so many young adults taking advantage of the opportunity to give back to their teacher-mentors.

One of the most effective ways students thanked their teachers was with handwritten letters. Clubs including the National English Honor Society (NEHS) and the Future Educators of America (FEA) participated in letter-writing campaigns, collecting and sharing students’ words of thanks with their teachers.

Many teachers felt especially honored when their positive impact was spotlighted for the whole school to see. Members of the Black Student Union (BSU) chose to spotlight their appreciated teachers through Instagram, posting fun, spirited photos of the students with their selected teachers.

Finally, Rampage invited students to express appreciation for their chosen teachers by writing them notes and posing for photos with them. Included below and in the attached photo gallery are a sampling of the results:

“Ms. Jennis has gone above and beyond for each and every student she has. I am picking this teacher because of the incredible work she has done for all of her students, between personalized plans created for each student based on their writing, taking her own time to summarize every chapter of our homework reading and using her free time to encourage students to learn.”—Shauna Gelman, senior

“I would pick Mr. Matyas because he is an approachable and kind person. He is always willing to work with me and my accommodations and is very understanding and supportive.” —Abby Levine, sophomore

“Ms. Poff is the most supportive, understanding teacher I have ever had. I am very grateful for her guidance and to have her as my teacher.” —Allie Milligan, senior

“Mr. Zavala because he is very chill and always tries to understand his students. His lessons are interactive, which makes it fun to learn history, a subject I usually don’t prefer.” –Emily Hochstuhl, junior

“Mrs. Finnell makes journalism engaging, and I have learned so much from her. She is always there to talk, and I love seeing her every day!” –Jane Doran, sophomore

About the Contributors
Joey Viespoli
Joey Viespoli, Staff Reporter
Staff reporter Joey Viespoli is a senior at Randolph High School and a part of the Randolph football program. Joey has been with the program throughout all four years of his high school career and was elected team captain this year. Joey is a leader on the football field and in the classroom. Apart from this, Joey has been working since he was 14 years old and spends a lot of time with his friends and family. 
Liz Bukh
Liz Bukh, Photo Editor
Elizabeth (Liz) Bukh is a junior and the photo editor for Rampage. Liz has taken Intro to Photography as well as Photography I and II. This is her first year on staff at Rampage, and she is excited to take pictures for the school, whether they be for Rampage or the Yearbook. Outside of taking pictures, Liz does track and field and wants to work in the field of public relations in the future.