RHS Alumni Panelists Offer College Advice to Current Seniors

Isabel Kao

Twelve RHS alumni panelists share their insights on college life with hundreds of current seniors in the high school auditorium on Jan. 6, 2023.

Isabel Kao, Staff Reporter

“My advice for freshman year is to leave your door open in your dorm. Everyone is trying to make friends; you’re not in a unique situation,” advised RHS alumnus Gilad Krasner-Cohen ’21, who currently attends Ohio State.

Krasner-Cohen was one of twelve RHS alumni who returned to campus to offer valuable college advice to hundreds of current seniors in the high school auditorium on Friday, Jan. 6.

Joining him on the panel were Sorayah Chavis, RHS Class of 2021, who attends Rowan; Leah Chan ’20, Seton Hall; Claire Doto ’21, William & Mary; Gavin Einfeldt ’20, Boston College; Charlotte Gu ’20, U. of Michigan; Matt Karl ’20, James Madison; James Keaney ’20, Lehigh; Stephen Kudriavetz ’21, Scranton; Emily Peel ’20, Penn State; Noelani Quinones ’21, Ramapo; and Kayla Valle ’22, CCM.

The alumni addressed questions that ranged from weightier topics like adhering to the unique college schedule to making friends in a new environment to living with roommates. In a lighter moment, the alumni also addressed topics that included using the dorm bathroom facilities.

High school Counselor Lisa Verran kicked off the event with a multitude of questions prepared for the alumni who passed down a microphone to share their answers. Verran was one of three staff members who organized the panel, along with Supervisor of English (6-12) Brienne Valvano and Dean of Students Lindsay Reilly.

Here are some advice highlights from the panel:

Gaining Independence

“In college you learn to develop a lot of responsibility since you’re basically in charge of yourself.” –Emily Peel ’20, psychology and business major, Penn State

“It’s a different schedule; there’s less structure, so you have to hold yourself to going to class and doing homework.” –James Keaney ’20, engineering major, Lehigh

“In college it’s just you; no mom and dad. You have to clean up after yourself and do your own laundry. Learn how to do your own laundry!” –Charlotte Gu ’20, economics and sociology major, U. of Michigan

Handling Academics

“There are many helpful tutoring centers run by students who know what you’re going through.” –Claire Doto ’21, sociology major, William & Mary

“Forming relationships with classmates and teachers gives you a lot of academic opportunities.” –Sorayah Chavis ’21, triple major, Rowan

Making New Friends

“I go to a big school with about 50,000 undergrads, so the biggest thing for me was making a big school seem small. Finding your group is important; in my case it was with a fraternity.” –Gilad Krasner-Cohen ’21, finance and informational systems major, Ohio State

“My advice for freshmen year is to leave your door open in your dorm. Everyone is trying to make friends; you’re not in a unique situation,” –Gilad Krasner-Cohen ’21, finance and informational systems major, Ohio State

Living with Roommates

“I recommend meeting your roommate beforehand; I went on Penn State’s Facebook page and talked to 20 girls before I found one I loved, and now we’re best friends.” –Emily Peel ’20, psychology and business major, Penn State

“It is not uncommon to switch. I had a roommate who went to bed at 8 p.m. and woke up at 4 a.m., so I switched my roommate.” Stephen Kudriavetz ’21, Scranton

Using the Dorm Bathroom Facilities

“You can either get stalls, which are communal and gross, or a nice private one. Honestly, the only thing you can do is get shower shoes and get through it.” –Emily Peel ’20, psychology and business major, Penn State

Reflecting on the College Application Process

“I feels so silly looking back, but I thought that getting rejected from my dream school was the worst things that had ever happened to me. It’s easy to get caught up into the environment of…They got into that school; I got rejected; she got accepted…but everything happens for a reason. At the end of the day, if you don’t like where you’re going, you can always just transfer.” –Charlotte Gu ’20, economics and sociology major, U. of Michigan

“College does not define you.” –Gavin Einfeldt, finance major, Boston College

With college decisions coming through and anxiety running high for current RHS seniors, the alumni panel could not have come at a better time to help put the seniors at ease as they look ahead to their rapidly approaching college experience.