In Honor of National Women in Sports Day, Let’s Celebrate Our Own Female Athletes

“Our female athletic teams are very competitive and have great success. Our programs in Randolph are among the strongest in the state. The participation numbers are strong as well. We are also seeing a great number of girls playing in college.”–RHS Athletic Director David Hutchinson

Girls Volleyball celebrates a point against Morristown on Dec. 22, 2022.

Lindsey Kudriavetz, Sports, News, and Photo Editor

National Girls & Women in Sports Day kicked off a year-long celebration of Title IX’s 50th anniversary on Feb. 1. Here at RHS, with our 15 female sports teams spanning three seasons at the varsity, junior varsity and freshman levels, we have plenty of reason to join in the celebration of our own talented female athletes and coaches.

Gymnastics

The Randolph Gymnastics team has put itself on the map the past two years, placing first and second in the league championships in 2021 and 2022 respectively. Senior Lily Ward won first place all around at the league championships this past season, scoring 34.475 for the meet.

Field Hockey

The Girls Field Hockey team also had a fantastic season, going 13-5-3, statistically led by senior Anna Stock (20 goals, 13 assists, 53 points) and junior Joelle Yurchuk (10 goals, 2 assists, 22 points). The two are multi-sport athletes, with Yurchuk playing field hockey and ice hockey and Stock playing field hockey and lacrosse.

Yurchuk, Stock and senior Stephanie Martin are the team’s stat leaders, having scored a combined 43 of 53 total goals this season.

“I always knew I loved sports and being around kids, so that shaped my career,” Head Coach Gina Adickes explained. “Being around a team, the work ethic, and working for one another encouraged me to continue playing sports and eventually become a coach.”

Basketball

Girls Basketball has a hugely successful program; the athletes were county finalists last season, and they are currently 19-1 and undefeated in their league. The team is led by sisters Madison Jenisch and Sydney Jenisch, who have committed to the University of Mary Washington and the University of New England respectively for basketball.

As of Feb. 1, Sydney Jenisch led the team with 250 points, with Madison Jenisch following with 145 points and 145 rebounds. Right behind them were junior Katie Tighe (94 points) and sophomores Aliyah Lambo (120 points) and Kayla Brand (95 points). Tighe and Madison Jenisch are multi-sport athletes; in addition to basketball, they are both on the field hockey team and Tighe is also on the lacrosse team. Sydney Jenisch also participates in cross country.

“The girls’ basketball team is having an amazing season; they are seeded number 1 in their section with about a week to go before states,” Hutchinson said. “We are having a halftime celebration at the girls’ game versus Mendham. It is going to be a great night.”

Lacrosse

The Girls’ Lacrosse team is an incredible asset to Randolph athletics, winning conference championships two years in a row for the first time in school history.

Junior Alexis Rodell has been a stat leader for two years; having scored an incredible 94 goals and 144 points, she has recently committed to Stanford.

Tighe is a defender on the team with 33 ground balls and 29 forced turnovers last season, and she is committed to the University of Rhode Island.

Junior Taylor Santoro, a Rider commit, had 25 goals, 13 assists, and 17 ground balls last season. Santoro also plays field hockey.

These are just a few of Randolph’s amazing female athletes. Randolph is home to amazing women working hard athletically and academically every day. Hard work paired with Randolph’s amazing athletic staff and coaches have created something great for our female athletes and our school, so here’s a shout out to all our favorite players.